Closing of a certain south delta wma

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
rbsdrake
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Closing of a certain south delta wma

Postby rbsdrake » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:59 am

It's not just one s delta wma. I was told by a guy that works for the corp it's 3 wma's
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:45 am

There's a certain WMA here in north ms that the COE owns and maintains as part of the Vicksburg District...it's run by the same folks who run the land around Arkabutla Lake. The doggone state has no part in it and guess what? It runs fine. No reason these other places can't be run the same way.
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Its tied to mitigation lands that the COE purchase for projects. There is no longer projects/project money for a particular type of project so therefore.........................no mitigation bank maintenance money to go to DWFP's and USFWS...
Its a crying dang shame that the citizens pay taxes to buy these mitigation lands and now they wont continue to fund the maintenance.
The list:
Alligator complex
Muscadine complex
Darlove
Sky Lake
Lake George
Leroy Percy
Plus the 4 greentree areas in Delta National that have had the pumps shut down and power disconnect since 2011 due to lack of funds.

Hopefully something can get turned around before the June 2015 kill date .....................................
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:17 pm

I figure most of these WMAs need about as much management as eagle lake.
Last edited by gps4 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:44 pm

It's a dam shame....
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:07 pm

But they can spend $3000/ac for prime real estate and turn it into a draw only (plus $300 if you're drawn) site. I was never opposed to the state acquiring such land, just at the expense of other public land that was already mismanaged.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:09 am

I'm so sick of the states land management practices.

The thing is they do a great job of getting data

the only problem is the data is so skewed - we need a tagging system and a reporting system so bad its not even funny. my guess is on my local WMA's twice as many deer are killed every year than are checked in.

until the state REALLY knows what's being killed - how can they manage it ? The only way they can do that is on a limited draw application - which sucks.

In my opinion we should take a hard look at other states successful DNR practices and make a change - Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. Tagging systems - limited firearm season - and Limited buck tags.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:52 am

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:10 am

MDWFP Administration officials will not budge on how they operate or accountability unless the appropriate tool is used. This tool is called a "politician."

However, in order for said tool to start up and operate efficiently, the proper fuel and lubricant must be used. The fuel used is "publicity" and the lubricant is the "vote".

I have already been through this concerning my WMA. They are all in each others' pockets.

And they are a proud bunch. So proud, in fact, that their pride blinds them from common sense & reasoning.

But when it comes down to the "nut-cutting," the buck stops and starts with the word "vote." Meaning, if a large enough, pissed off enough constituent puts the politician's nuts in a strong vise, them the politician- in his panicked frenzy to relieve stress- will take action to do so.

The solution is simple: organize, mobilize, go public, drop a note in the politician's ear, and demand results. If the MDWFP and COE won't play ball, confirm that the politician's worst nightmare has come true: a PR disaster.

I only wish I'd of gotten the politicians more involved when the WFP, COE, NRCS, some old yankee dude from the USFWS, and even a DU representative thrown in there, decided they'd demand only two of the people represent the people while they all cornered myself and another fellow (older than me and on this board) with an attitude of, " This is how it's gonna be."

I also wish the other outdoorsmen who hunted the wma would have taken a more proactive approach in confronting the folks who so wisely drained our wetlands in the name of "mitigation." Unfortunately, most gave a fierce, albeit hollow, battle cry. And now, as they complain about the plight of the wma wetlands- and their duck season- it's too little, too late.

The picture below was taken yesterday. It is after 5 growing seasons. The goal of draining the wetlands was hardwood restoration. Granted, tress were dying- as a result of the COE and NRCS playing God with our hydrologic river systems and channelizing a stream that silted in areas and encouraged beaver infestations and unnatural standing water in places not designed for it. But when Mr. MDWFPCOENRCSUSFWSDU insisted that the wetland below had only been inundated with water for the last 20 years or so, all I could think of was pictures of my great uncle back in the 50's standing in the same swamp with a strap full of mallards next to him.

After 5 years, look at all that hardwood growth! Boy, at this rate, we will be drowning in acorns by 2500!

We better get on top of this or it could get worse. The MDWFP could go from an agency charged with being stewards of the people of Mississippi's land, to stewards of the people's exclusive hunting clubs like Canemount- or whatever the hell it's called.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:12 pm

And GGR drops the mic!

Well said!
Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:51 pm

The mdwfp is the closest thing to a puppet on a string as you can get, along with other mentioned organizations. It all boils down to MONEY. If the right people can get their hand in the right pocket they would stop traffic up and down the Ms river during hunting season. I'm not even a smart man but I do know that if you have had water standing and flooding a particular spot for 40+ years a try ain't gone grow. They would rather take our land away than use it for what God made it for. The reason your uncle had a strap full of mallards in the same spot is because they were using it for what is was made for
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Light up the COE phones, write a congressional about what's going on. Local COE folks hate it when senators start snooping around and asking questions.. Its really not hard to get results,, it might not be overnight but it will come..

The COE has money, folks, and equipment to make this change painless and the property better then when the State had it..

Corp has a web site with phone numbers,, get busy,, pass the numbers out to everybody who has a interest.. Leave messages, call back, go see them.. Let them see their feet are in the fire..
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:22 pm

This is one of the areas where I think that VERY little "management" is actually necessary. Leave the it be, and it will all work out. It worked out just fine for a few million years before we started messing with it. Have the roads through the WMA maintained by the county, all other access is foot with very limited atv access, and there isn't much to maintain.

Policing, yes, it is a necessity.

Now, I am sure I'll get jumped because I am wrong for some reason. But, it's the way I see it.

Same goes for the vast majority of the levee system as well.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
davidees
Duck South Addict

Postby davidees » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”