breathable waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

breathable waders

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:52 am

Anybody use these light weight breathable waders?

I want to buy a pair. I find my self getting hot more than cold while hunting.

looking at the cabelas brand and the Basspro brand.

any input ?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: breathable waders

Postby deltadukman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:59 am

Interested in opinions as well. Ive heard various reports from how awesome they are, to how they dont last.
ransco33
Veteran

Postby ransco33 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:21 am

I had a pair of Cabela's breathables that lasted 5 seasons. Only reason they didn't last longer is they ripped from the boot to the knee on a metal ladder on one of our blinds last year. I loved them and am planning on getting another pair. Neoprenes are just too hot to wear when I'm hunting a field and moving around a good bit.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:36 am

I've been wearing breathables most of the season for the last 2 or 3 years. I did get a little cold Friday standing in the water when it was below freezing and I didn't dress for that.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 pm

LaCrosse Alpha Swampfox has been the best breathable wader I've found. The old style was so comfortable that I wore them instead of rubber boots on many occasions. I thought that they had been discontinued for good but just saw that they were put back into production. I've got a pair of the new drop-top style as well but haven't really put them to the test yet. The new style does have more features and abrasion resistant padding. Just layer up combinations of a breathable base-layer and fleece pants, and you'll be fine.

Old style: http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perform ... aders.html

New style: http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perform ... -600g.html
Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:48 pm

"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
yankee
Veteran

Postby yankee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 pm

I have been a big fan of Cabelas breathables, and am probably on my tenth pair. Have worn them forever with few problems. But I did see several guys in the new Banded waders this weekend, and I was pretty impressed. A lot of features on them that I had not seen before. They appear to fit more like bib overalls than waders, extra layer of protection on seat and legs. Good looking boots. They are pricey, but loaded with features. If they last, they might be very worthwhile.
cajun squealer
Duck South Addict

Postby cajun squealer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:08 pm

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him.
--Willie
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:14 pm

"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I wished they offered more camo patterns than that bright axed duck blind or max4. Looks like a golden nugget in the woods.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:12 pm

I had a pair of Mack's that lasted a good year and a half then began to leak all over. Everywhere from the boot seam at the top to the crotch. Last year I bought a pair of lacrosse and they are much better I think. No sign of any leaks yet after one full season. They are comfortable and I like the way the straps attach.
work hard, play hard
slayem
Veteran

Postby slayem » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:21 pm

I bought a pair of macks last year, that were clearly not designed for a big guy. I ripped the front pocket off 2 or 3 pair. They didn't have any more of em so I got my money back, no questions asked, and ended up with a pair of banded insulated. They're very comfortable but haven't got to put em to the test yet. Hope they hold up. The boot is extremely comfortable.
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:22 pm

I've had Cabela's breathables for years now and love them. Never cold with decent pair of wader pants and Cabela's breathable waders. Very light weight, comfortable and durable. I will never buy neoprenes again. neoprenes are heavy and bulky to me and are only good durring main duck season. I wear my breathables in warm weather fishing, teal hunting and cold winter with ZERO problems. Cannot do that with neoprenes.
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:09 pm

Bought a pair of Herter's breathable from Cabelas this year. They fit much better than the Bone Dry from Bass Pro. The Bone Dry are pretty poor.
The Herter's were $135 or so. I also got a pair of 3.5mm neoprene from Rogers. Long story and don't ask why. It involves falling off of an Argo. A Oneshotpayne kinda deal. Similar to my OSP story of my camp house bedding that blew out of my truck bed. So if you see a purple box on I55 with some low-grade bedding let a brother know.

I wore the Rogers' this weekend in flooded timber and was impressed. Of course the final test will be seeing how long till the crotch leaks.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:21 pm

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented

Return to “General Discussion Forum”