breathable waders

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
blu hed
Veteran

Re: breathable waders

Postby blu hed » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:40 pm

I researched them last year and ended up with Cabelas Breathable Dry Plus with 600 gm of Thinsulate. Used them twice this year and they are light and feel great. Not nearly as heavy as the neos.
"I didn't even shot" Mr. Reed 2010
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:54 pm

I've been wearing them about 9 out of 10 hunts the past few seasons and won't be going back. The freedom of movement is amazing. I have a pair of the macks breathables and the new breathable Cabelas instinct waders. Gotta give the nod to cabelas pair. I wear a pair of thermal bottoms and insulated carhartts and won't get cold.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:43 pm

If you layer up just a little it's fine for hunting in the south. I usually wear some long johns with blue jeans under mine, and if it's really cold I go with the long johns, sweat pants, and drake wader pants. Have hunted in this combo on the coldest days in MS the past three years and have been fine, and it's way more comfortable than lugging around an extra 25 lbs of weight as you do with neoprene waders. I can't see ever going back to them.
work hard, play hard
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 am

I bought a pair of the redheads before going trout fishing back in September and I will never go back.

As an aside, even though they look very uncool at the draw hunt pre-drawing fashion show, I highly recommend the stocking foot waders.

Before you start hollering "gaaay," try them out. You get the freedom of movement with a boot that is lighter than a tennis shoe. If you walk in many places, you'll never go back. Get a pair that has the rock guard.

Where are the two main areas you get a leak? The crotch and the boot- either cracking of the rubber or where the material joins to the boot in the seam. In terms of leaks, which is more debilitating? I believe the leak in the boot. With stocking foot waders equipped with a rock guard, the problem areas are almost non-existent.

I can wear my boots into the duck hole (after being on the Peet all night) and put my waders into a stuff bag and bicycle down a levee in no time. All of daddy's money in the world can't buy a fast enough boat to beat a doofus on a bike with stocking foot waders.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Breathables - dress up or down, underneath according to temps. Have had mine from Cabela's for 6 years. Stored indoors. No neoprene Evan again. Mine are 1000 gram boots.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Love em. And this past weekend they were much needed. Dang it was hot. As said. Dress up or down
Work is for a man who can't fish
Plainsman04
Veteran

Postby Plainsman04 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Got a pair of Hodgman's 2 years ago. Leakiest pair of waders I've ever owned, but definitely the most comfortable. Only use them during teal season now cause I know I'm gonna get wet, but they work for keeping the mud off you. I think I'm going to try the Cabelas next time. Rarely read a bad review of theirs.
dukbum
Duck South Addict

Postby dukbum » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:49 pm

deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:22 am

Broke down and bought a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Swampfox's. I havent hunted in them yet but put some insulated clothes on and walked around in them a minute. They seem 50-11 times better than neoprene as far as walking goes. Verdict is out on standing in water with them. Got a smoking deal so i couldnt pass it up.
jtdumallard
Duck South Addict

Postby jtdumallard » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:19 am

yeah I'd say you did Vickers.
"I've gotta run, my unicorn is double parked." Gator
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:47 pm

got my lacrosse in today. seems like I am going to really like them. they are much lighter than neoprene's. will try them soon.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:59 pm

I went through 3 pairs of the banded redzone in short order. If they havent done some serious mods to them the are a 300 dollar pair of bibs.

Be warned.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”