handheld gps ???

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Ryano
Veteran

handheld gps ???

Postby Ryano » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:14 pm

what are you guys using or like? thanks
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: handheld gps ???

Postby deltadukman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Garmin 62st. Whatever you get, spend the money for an electronic compass.
Ryano
Veteran

Postby Ryano » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:44 pm

thanks man
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:11 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Since the models seem to change daily, here's my advice. When you buy one, go ahead and buy every conceivable accessory because those items will be discontinued soon. After that, you waste time chasing down obsolete doo-dads on-line. Such as, handlebar mounts, 12volt adapter, cases, anything you think that you may need.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Couldn't do without one, Garmin, on da bay boat but stopped using handheld in da woods....on satellite view w/iPhone can go to a particular tree or get view/ idea where to setup on sloughs in da dark, etc... Works good thru a sandwich bag for waterproof....

Kinda getting OT but used mine to find deep water in the La. marsh in order to setup in radically falling tide and still access decoys in the Wigeon grass mats w/o mud boat and w/o getting stranded yet close to where they wanta be. Also enables to find access to the grass outa the boat no matter what the tide is....lil bluffs if you will....fortunately when Google shot their sat. pics the water was way out!!!!!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:24 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:19 am

You can download Custom Maps app on Android store (dunno about ITunes). Then on a laptop on Google Earth you can use the Windows Snip Tool to snip the aerial image of the area you are hunting. Save the image as a png (smaller file size). Then go into G Earth and add an image overlay. ( I usually add a + symbol at all 4 corners before snipping an image- to aid in aligning the aerial image over itself.)

Once the image is overlaid, right click> save place as> choose a name & save as a kmz file.

Email it to yourself and Android will prompt you to open it with Custom Maps. Now you have an offline aerial map. Once you do it a few times, you can have an entire wma done in an hour. You can also create an overlay in the Custom Maps app, but it is slower unless you have a tablet.

You can also save areas for offline use in Google Maps.

I agree though, a handheld unit has its place and the electronic compass is a must. There is so much freeware out there too- to the point where Garmin recommends places to look. I have multiple WMAs with the image overlay of the area map, hunt units, boundaries, etc.- all on my garmin.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:33 am

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am

Sheesh I wuz thinkin da opposit..... :!:
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:55 am

Denduke
Duck South Addict

Postby Denduke » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 pm

I don't think youse guys could do what I did so easily but that's what I get tryin to join in wit you IT types... :wink: I'll just wallow in my ignorance like a pig in mud..... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion Forum”