.223 for deer?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: .223 for deer?

Postby stang67 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:41 pm

He's referring to bullet tumble inside the target, though a Partition should not do this. I've read that FMJs commonly do and that is why they do more damage than you'd expect of a little .22-inch diameter pill.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:08 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:12 pm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:01 pm

True, but if that's what Monte's Partitions were doing, he wouldn't be getting exit wounds.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:58 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:51 am

I have a little experience with bullets that tumble if anyone is interested.

Here's a picture of a 30 caliber 125 grain Speer TNT, shot from a 300 Blackout at 2200 ft./sec that I recovered from a doe I shot that was looking/standing straight at me. Bullet entered in the brisket area and must have traveled nearly three feet through the length of the body. Recovered this slug while skinning the deer. It dropped out of the hide from the mammary area. It weighed 92 +/- grains. Never found the jacket and the bullet looks really flattened in person.

I've also recovered two other TNT's shot into game that looked just like this one.

In this case, the TNT which is a varmint bullet and is intended to be used at higher velocity apparently doesn't expand it all slower speeds but tumbles upon impact. The exit wounds always look just like what you imagine this bullet would do to one coming out of it sideways. It's pretty devastating on deer and hogs in spite of the fact that there is no expansion of the bullet. I also get similar exit wounds when using heavyweight sub sonic bullets.

If your rifle twist is too slow for the length of the bullet you were shooting that bullet might not ever fully stabilize which could cause it to tumble upon impact. But at high velocity with the 223 that we're supposed to be talking about I'd be surprised if that ever happens when using a good quality hunting bullet?

Using a rifle twist that is faster than what's required for the length of the bullet probably has no negative effects. Could result in less velocity potential from a given load and in some cases (22 cal) some bullets actually have maximum RPM thresholds and if they are exceeded from too fast of a rifle twist or length of barrel the bullet can actually come apart in mid air.

223 for deer, no problem provided that you're using a hunting bullet and can make a reasonably good shot with it.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks for sharing wildfowler.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Return to “General Discussion Forum”