DNF area hunters. What would you pay for use of a cabin?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

DNF area hunters. What would you pay for use of a cabin?

Postby matador1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:38 pm

I might have a business opportunity soon and want some opinions. The model would be 8 to 10 one and two bedroom cabins built nicely with good parking, acccess to a general skinning and processing area, well lit, secure location. The initial plans I have looked at are about 350-400 sq feet for the 1 bedrooms and 500-550 or so for the two bedrooms. Each would have small living area, kitchen (stove, fridge, microwave), bedroom and bath (full size shower, toilet, sink) Located in the Holly Bluff/ Rolling Fork area. Leases would be one year at a time, the thought being that overnight and short term renters tend to be more transient and not as likely to take care of things. Utilities paid, monthly draft for rent required. The goal would be to keep it family oriented. Nothing wrong with having a drink and staying up late but if you get rowdy, you get gone. Not a place to bring the mistress (probably knocks out most of you egg heads)
The biggest question is what is it worth?
Would you pay $350 per month for the one bedroom and $450 for the two bedrooms? If not, what would you consider fair?
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: DNF area hunters. What would you pay for use of a cabin?

Postby teul2 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Paid utilities may bite you.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 pm

for $5000 a year you can just about join any decent duck club with a nice camp house.

cost is to high for me to be interested, I would rather have a place to park a camper.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
DUCK-HUNT
Duck South Addict

Postby DUCK-HUNT » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Get em WET!............Their feet that is.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
randywallace
Veteran

Postby randywallace » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:40 pm

I think you would have better luck renting them out for a week at a time. This may give you some ideas:

http://www.oleferry.com/rentals
dawg-n-duck
Duck South Addict

Postby dawg-n-duck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Happy Happy Happy
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Not posting a name, but Ive been a member of one with awesome hunting, better members, and a camp house comparable to any $400k house in the metro area for that.
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Adam - in my opinion, it calculates out too high with the numbers you listed. I understand the logic behind it, but not sure there are enough folks that hunt DNF that could/would fork out +5K a year to use a cabin a few week-ends per year. I'm thinking there are more that would be willing to pay 250-300 a week. You can probably accomplish the same thing money wise, but agree that the maintanence & clean up could affect your bottom line.

Interesting concept though in my opinion. Keep us posted.
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
Tedl10
Duck South Addict

Postby Tedl10 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Cash's Loaded Gun - Case

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin" - Doc Holliday

Ted Lloyd, Jr.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm not totally against weekly rentals but with that comes lato stay or palces to put a camper. I've done the camper thing for three seasons and it's not all it's made out to be. a 8x30 camper (240 fdeet) gets small quick. There is maintance involved plus with most of us living in metro areas, tehre is storage in teh off season.
Just thinking that while this might not fit everyone it is viable for some. I think I am on to something just want opinions from others since I'm not the smartest guy. I think I can twaek it to be a win win for everyone.

Pelease keep the comments coming.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:53 pm

the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Call "roy" in glen allen on lake washington...he did same thing. Assume they are still there...used tomstay at roys #4 during duck season there.

the doc
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:50 am

I would be more apt to develop the property - install utilities - sewer- gravel drives - that way all the dirty work would be done.

you could even set up a central fish cleaning / deer cleaning station. then you could sell lots - or do rent to own the lots, even allow campers for a specific amount of time - during or before building stages.

maybe even some dirt work for house pads. set up some type of building codes so no one will build junk.

I would probably build a few "spec" homes/cabins and sell them "Rent to own" - then you would not have to pay capital gains taxes @ the end of the deal, and you would be more apt to keep the real estate if the renter/buyer backs out of the deal - just rent to own again - or sell it out right. you could do one or two spec homes every year - and that would give you some good tax write offs as well down the line.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”