Pecan trees (delta)?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Pecan trees (delta)?

Postby missed mallards » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Anyone got a contact on one that doesn't harvest them?

Made a joke this evening I needed to find a money tree as funds are getting tight. In all the brainstorming the last few weeks, I never once thought of picking up pecans. My fiancé made the comment that she used to pick them up for some extra pocket money. With everything going on, I thought it was a great idea.

Figured I'd ask here before I beat the bushes. Any of ya'll have some pecan tree's that don't care for someone to pick them up?

I don't know anything about pecans. I love them in a pie, but's that the extent.

Do most land owners do halfs? I'm not rolling out a commercial operation so my contact base is lacking. I know it can get in depth when concerning that actual "harvesting" of said pecans.

I'm trying to get a game plan together to hopefully make a little extra coin. A few tree's type deal. If you've ever done it, or simply know anything about it, let me know. I try to get a little knowledge about stuff before I jump in. I know posted signs are starting to popup all over, making me think, they could be dropping.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
jmh600
Veteran

Re: Pecan trees (delta)?

Postby jmh600 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:27 am

From what iv been told it's not really worth the money unless your doing a lot of it. But a dollar is a dollar. Go for it.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:33 am

I've got 7 big pecans in my yard and I tried it one year and I think it came out to around $10/hour.
merlebo05
Duck South Addict

Postby merlebo05 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 am

from what I have seen the pecan operations have big nets under the trees and they have a machine that shakes the tree capturing all the pecans in the net. Hard to compete with that going around picking them up off the ground.
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 am

Varies by land owner. Some want the pecans and some don't want them at all. If the ground is clean, invest in one of the push type pickers. Makes quick work to get them off the ground. You simply clean the leaves and twigs. Then there is the basket type picker that comes in handy if the grass is somewhat tall. Then there is the old hands and knees method of picking which takes the longest.

Pick every pecan you find. Even if the pecan is empty, you will still get paid for the weight of the shell. Don't try to see all dry pecans though. Some places will crack a couple to make sure they are good, but not every place cracks some to check.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
drake09
Veteran

Postby drake09 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm

I got 7 trees in my yard right now that are dropping pretty good would be willing to go in halfes on them or just enough to put some in my freezer for the summer
Wait wait!! Dam* shouldve shot them

Return to “General Discussion Forum”