Extreme Cold Weather Gear

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bigoak
Duck South Addict

Extreme Cold Weather Gear

Postby bigoak » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:46 pm

What is your go to outfit or layering system when the temps are low and the wind is howling? I use the ECWS polartec power grid base layers then a thick fleece shirt and pants. As an outer layer I have an older set of Browning insulated overalls and coat that are warm and waterproof but noisy. My next investment will be a new outer layer that is windproof and quiet. Still have not been able to keep my feet warm. I just stay in the stand as long as my cold feet allow.
7ducks
Veteran

Re: Extreme Cold Weather Gear

Postby 7ducks » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Rivers West is the best I've found...windproof/ waterproof...quiet....only negative is that it does not breathe....JMO
Last edited by 7ducks on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
medic11
Veteran

Postby medic11 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Minus 33 merino wool is pretty amazing stuff
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:53 pm

mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:26 am

King of the mountain wool is good stuff as well
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:05 am

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 am

the only jackets that seem to be truly waterproof to me are real deal fishing slickers from Grundens (think deadliest catch). I've worn them on 300 mi round trips offshore in the dead of winter and been relatively comfortable
Trappey
Veteran

Postby Trappey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Just got back from a hunting trip and feet kept freezing. Mostly due to sweating and getting cold. I always have out the toasty toes on the bottom side of my toes until this trip. Floured I'd try something different and put the warmer on the TOP side of my toes and it worked awesome. Think the warmer being ontop of toes and having small space between my toes and top of boot instead of beingsandwiched in between foot and sole of boot allowed warmer to "breathe" and kinda generate some warm are in there. Plus I could raise my toes and press warmer against top of boot and toes and REALLY feel the heat. This in combination w boots one size too big were a huge help.
Forrest3
Veteran

Postby Forrest3 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:36 pm

missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm a big supporter of UA 4.0. A fleece lined pant/shirt, and on occasion some bibs/coat and I find myself sitting longer.

The biggest game changer for me was my feet/hands. once my hands get cold, I loose function in them. I hardly ever wear gloves but do for 'moments' at a time.

My feet: I wear your good ole white socks going to my stand. Once at my stand, I will change them and put on some wool. I have gotten by with just my ole leather boots doing this. It may sound stupid, and it's quite cold for a few minutes, but once they warm back up I hardly ever get that stinging feeling when they get cold. I'll admit I do have a pair of browning socks that I'm in love with. Don't know anything about them except they keep my feet warm. But they fit very well.

My bibs/coat/jacket are hardly ever put on for the walk in (including duck hunting). I may be freezing when I get there, but I tend to stay and not get cold once I layer up.

Now if you are in a boat: Grab everything you own! Wind is your enemy!
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:54 am

Three words......Thermacell Heated InSoles

Don't turn them on until your feet start feeling a little bit cold.......it'll buy you a few hours
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:49 am

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
CW
Veteran

Postby CW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Layering is key. For me it's a silk base layer, ulfrotte wool underwear over that, and king of the mountain over that. Falke expedition socks in muck arctic pro boots. If it's too cold for that setup, get in a heater body suit and that's the end of the story for big game anyway.
CBRADGO
Veteran

Postby CBRADGO » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Under Armour Rut Wear. Worth every penny. Quiet, scent free, WARM. The stuff is amazing...
"I stay away from that forum. It turns people into idiots and the ones who are idiots to start with are unbearable..."

-Blackduck

Return to “General Discussion Forum”