Hypothetical Situation

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Hunkerdown II
Veteran

Hypothetical Situation

Postby Hunkerdown II » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Let's say you are in a lease with a small number of people, to the point that you know everyone and for the most part everyone works well together. Let's also say that you just learned that one of the members just so happens to be a convicted felon. If you were placed in this situation, what would you do?
slayem
Veteran

Re: Hypothetical Situation

Postby slayem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 pm

How did said felon get his gun rights reinstated?
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Keep my mouth shut and hunt. You think the guy is going to steal from you or just concerned that he's not legally suppose have a gun?
Hunkerdown II
Veteran

Postby Hunkerdown II » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:45 pm

If the situation were true, I might be concerned about my association with the individual while guns were present.
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:12 pm

If he's not allowed to be around or possess a firearm, it's his booty , not yours, hunt and enjoy.
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:13 am

Would depend for me on what the guy did to get into trouble and what he is doing now. Also how long he has been clean and out of jail. I would be hesitant within a few years of him getting out of jail as if he relapsed i would have concerns my four wheeler and other items of value at the club would disappear. However I believe we can all make mistakes and if I felt my life was safe around him and felt reasonably comfortable he had turned it around I would be comfortable hunting with him. Most people deserve a second chance.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:13 am

I know someone in that situation. It was a bs conviction. This guy is good as gold and if he wouldn't have told me, I would have never known. I'll go to my grave and never speak his name. Judge the man by his current character and not his past actions.
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:16 am

Are you worried about him being a convicted felon or are you worried that he is breaking the law possessing a fire arm post felony? My understanding is that is tough to do but a felon can get his gun rights back but again very tough to do . As stated before what was the conviction? If its something of a sexual nature and women or kids are in the camp then I would be highly concerned. If its theft related then I would be more aware. I do a prison ministry at Parchman and have worked with many many felons both inside the system and those that have come out. You have to be very aware that they have been in the prison system but if they have paid their debt to society then treat them like any other person. That's really all they want. Much of the recidivism comes from convicted felons getting out of the prison and being treated like they have ebola. They cant get a job and find a place to live or something to eat so they turn back to what got them locked up in the first place as a matter of survival. If the man in question if causing issues in your camp or giving you reason for alarm that's one thing but if not then treat him like you would before you knew about this. As stated before he screwed up, he knows he screwed up, everyone in his life knows he screwed up don't make him pay for it again.Ive met several guys at parchman that are deeply saddened because they so loved to hunt and they know that because of what they did they most likely will never get to hunt again. Being in your camp is probably one of the great joys this man looks forward to and quite possibly keeps him straight.
greenheadgrimreaper
Duck South Addict

Postby greenheadgrimreaper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:30 am

Not saying this is you, but, if the guy knows Jesus, then who are we to continue to hold him accountable for his past?

Non-adjudication laws in Mississippi can permit certain felons to get their rights back.

I have a friend who made some mistakes in the past- like the rest of us but he just got caught- and he can own a firearm now.
"The middle of the road is where the white line is -- and that's the worst place to drive." Robert Frost

http://www.pintailduckboats.com/
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:28 am

I am friends with a guy that was arrested and convicted on drug charges in the mid to late 90's. He was a hunter. He did his time. He was released. He worked with the judge and taught educational programs concerning substance abuse and counseled. He was granted the right to have a gun again. 15-20 years later he runs a rehab facility, raised his kids, remarried, got an accounting degree and a doctorate. I am dang proud to call him a friend too. He is the exception to the rule and I realize that, but unless the pattern repeats itself, don't judge a man on his past mistakes. I am blessed a million times over that people don't judge me on my past.
There will be a day....
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 am

Peewee
lilwhitelie
Duck South Addict

Postby lilwhitelie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:56 am

HRCH JB'S LIL WHITE LIE
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:03 am

Nobody owes you anything.
Lazy Drake
Veteran

Postby Lazy Drake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 am

I would be curious what the conviction was for. If it was tax evasion or some dumb marijuana charge from 10 years ago. We love to lock people up in this country for a little mary jane.
I would hunt ducks and mind my own business. If a person did their time, they should be fully restored to society.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 am

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin

Return to “General Discussion Forum”