Hunt test volunteers

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
B3
Duck South Addict

Hunt test volunteers

Postby B3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

It's been a while since I have been to a hunt test. My eyes were opened this past weekend to how hard it is to put on a big hunt test. It looked like even more dogs,equipment,and logistics moving handlers between stakes than a big field trial. I know how tired I am after marshaling or judging a FT, but the hunt test seemed even more difficult with the volunteers busting their butts all weekend at Black Warrior. If you do run a hunt test remember to thank the judges,Marshall's,and others doing the thankless jobs so you can run your dogs.
Splash_em
Veteran

Re: Hunt test volunteers

Postby Splash_em » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Well said Bill. What is seen on the surface is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg for an event like that. By the time the 1st dog kicked off, I bet Mark had spent 80 to 100 hours answering questions, texts, phone calls, and emails.
Richard G.

GRHRCH UH "Hammer" MH***
GRHRCH "Zeus"

"One of the secrets of training is not trying for perfection; a certain amount of tolerance is necessary."- Charles Morgan
fishduck
Veteran

Postby fishduck » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Black Warrior is truly blessed with a group of dedicated volunteers! I am lucky to call most of them friends. Can't begin to thank them all because I know I will miss someone.
hooked on quackers
Regular

Postby hooked on quackers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:04 am

Very well said. I would like to add that keeping a running order is only a very small part of marshaling.
HRCH Rips Fullhouse Jacks Over Aces MH -Ace
_HR_Color Me Gone -Speed
Kicking the Habit PeeWee

Jack Gravely
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 am

By the time handlers start griping at the marshall he has caught birds, hauled all the equipment to the field, set up the test, instructed the bird boys, repaired a winger or two, coordinated with marshalls at other stakes, and whatever else comes up. If you want to see what goes into one of these events, volunteer to marshall a stake at a test or trial
KarenKlotthor
Regular

Postby KarenKlotthor » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:57 pm

That is why a site marshal should never have the running order. Always need 2 people at the least. Black warrior did bang up job with having so many flgts. We never waited once for a dog in Flgt D on Sat/Sun master test.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”