are the draw hunts working?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
gps4
Veteran

are the draw hunts working?

Postby gps4 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

my local wma (which is to say the closest wma to my hometown) has gone through many changes in the last 20 years. when i first started hunting out there, you could waterfowl hunt the woods until noon and the fields until sunset. some of my fondest memories of hunting this particular wma were those hunts late in the afternoon after college classes let out when we could slip in after all the early-birds and all nighters had left for the day.

there were no regulations that prohibited hunters from getting out in the field at a certain time, and on more than one occasion, i found myself sipping my hot beverage at 1:00 a.m. after we had set the decoys out already.

then, the folks in charge decided to close all waterfowl hunting at noon.

then, the powers that be said you couldn't leave the road until 5:00.

then, they made it a draw hunt with certain number of preseason draws and a certain number of standby draws.

then, the draws went to all pre-hunt draws and the only standby opportunities were is a pre-hunt drawee didn't show up.

what i would like to know, and i'm sure there has not been a study on it, but I'd like to know if the draw system is working.

i suppose in order to answer that question, one would need to know what the overall objective was behind implementing the changes. saftey? more birds per hunter? fewer man hunt hours?

personally, I'd like to see a comparison of man hours and harvest numbers from when you could hunt the fields all day as compared to the years in which there were only draw hunts that end at noon.

personally, my trips per year to the wma have declined substantially and my use is inversely proportional to the amount of regulation. i'm not saying that I think the draw system was a good idea or a bad idea, but i would like to know how the use and game harvest has changed in the last 20 years.
420 racin
Veteran

Re: are the draw hunts working?

Postby 420 racin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Use= Down
Harvest=Down

Regulation=Up
Revenue=Up

I too used to hunt this WMA, we used to strap decoys to the top of an old Chevy Beretta and knock the high center of the gravel road off wth the skid plate/oil pan...like you some of my best duck hunts and memories......Not anymore though
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Working? Depends on who you ask.

The department previously had a perpetual hard-on for the almighty "man-days". Apparently someones job was on the line to show that "man-days" was in a positive number, going up and getting better. Getting more "man-days" on the books was the goal, period. (I'm in sales so this sounds all too familiar)

I don't hear much about "man days" anymore, and the MDWFP forums are long gone, so it's possible that measure of success has been replaced by another. (As I recall a man day was somehow measured by the number of people participating in a legal hunting day. If their were two draw days a week, you wouldn't count the other five closed days in your "man-day" crackelations). That's as best as I can recall. However..............

I don't fool with any draws, tried and it sucked. I also used to hunt at X&Y but now hunt public elsewhere. I have friends that informally try to get a group for a draw, then.......... have a totally different and comprehensive strategy for the standby. If there is no draw in the group they standby somewhere with a plan B,C,D,E, F. They make it work (usually) and don't know it any other way, as they are younger than I am. I refuse to bend my knee and hunt at my government staked hole. They think I'm a little weird. They get enough action to keep going back. They would also say it does not work, yet they are working the system as best they can.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm

I agree, tried it once, sucked, felt like I lived in California from their stories. Never applied or went back. I hear this often so I know I'm not alone. I've got other places to hunt where I don't have to deal with that. I will never say where for fear they may get regulated so that Johnny come lately has a "chance" to harvest something.
msudog4

Postby msudog4 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 am

I am personally not a fan of most of this. We live in South AL now and it is not worth the drive up north not knowing if you will be able to hunt or not. Also on the draws you have no idea of what the weather will be like at the time of your draw. It seems to me that it really limits the hunts to just the locals close to the WMA's. But it sounds like you are not really a fan either even living close to the WMA.
hard to justify a five hour drive with these circumstances.
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 am

For the most part I hunt private lands but I use to enjoy hunting with friends that were not in the particular private lease I was in. Those opportunities are now essentially gone. I was fortunate enough to enjoy one hunt with great friends outside of my lease last year. This will be the demise of hunting as we know it. Everyone says killing isn't everything and I agree, but the fellowship with friends and family in the outdoors is what it is about. These moments have slowly been taken away from us. If the stars line up and one person out of four gets drawn and we all set our calendars to take off 30-60 days ahead of time we may get the opportunity to enjoy this time together for a couple days per year.
Peewee
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 am

I will say this though (probably said it before too), I don't see any other way to manage a bunch of old catfish ponds. A bunch of square mud holes really doesn't lend itself to the freelance, scouting, get a good spot early, type of public hunting. I'm okay with the MDWFP doing the best they can with this real estate. I don't think anything else needs reduced days or draws.

These catfish pond draws also gives a hardcore double banded feller and his labradoodle a chance to go poo face & get a croker sack full of scoters & bootlips. Whoo-hoo and high five, go for it you hardcore mofo. :mrgreen:
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 pm

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 am

Yep.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”