Drones

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
99beers
Veteran

Re: Drones

Postby 99beers » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:59 am

To clear up a few things........

There are no laws on the books concerning Drones/Uav's (only suggestions and circulars)

Hobbyist will be only slighty affected. (safety n airports n altitude)

This is all about commercial use of drones.

No one as ever been prosecuted for flying a drone safely. Even commercial. (fine is 10,000, guy was prosecuted commercial use, Texas Fed judge thru it out, faa appealed, and they got him for 1000 for flying in an unsafe manner). Google Univ. of Virg. and drone

A goose will do more damage to a plane than the lightweight drones.

They are pretty safe, but they can fly away.

Again, NO LAWS are on the books concerning drone/uav's. That will change soon.

I expect registered and licensed use for commercial only. Some type of ground school. Pilot license will not be required. This is all being looked at now, but a ruling/law was suppose to be already in effect. Some say it may still take a while.

Until then, if you fly safely, commercial or not, then fly on. They (faa) will send a cease and desist order before prosecution, and as of now, they have to prove you were flying unsafe. (unsafe is flying above 400', out of sight, to close to airport, in congested area's, to close to buildings, over traffic, over crowds of people, to name a few).

There are some good discussion groups on facebook.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I've been thinking about getting one for doing virtual tours of properties and homes I have listed.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:54 pm

You will have to get a commercial pilots license for that, according to what I've read lately.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:22 am

There will be a day....
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:06 pm

JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:32 pm

What's the payload on them things? I'd love to drop a grenade or two on a sounder of pigs.
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
three11
Veteran

Postby three11 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:15 pm

http://youtu.be/SNPJMk2fgJU

I'm gonna build some of these. Gonna use cordless drills for motors and rob the guts out of my kid's Radio Shack remote control car. Strap an old 1187 to that bad boy and you won't even have to get out of the truck to go hunting anymore. If anyone wants one just let me know. Just don't tell Mr. Greenjeans.
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Me want!!!!! :D :D
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Awesome!

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:51 pm

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:57 pm

A golfer knocked one down out of the sky the other day with a tee shot. Im not that worried about it messing up an airplane.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Do you fly, deltadukman? I bet a tee shot would take a human out, too, and I dang sure wouldn't want to hit an Internet smartass with a plane.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:11 pm

DoubledP with all do respect you are repeating what you heard and where told, from folks who basically don't know anymore than you or I on this matter. Why? Because there are no laws/regulations on the books concerning drones/uav/uas use. Advisors and recommendations have been issued.

Please don't scare the hobby folks that do not fly for money. They are perfectly legal as long as they fly under 400' and 4 miles away from airports and in a safe manner With or without a camera.

The problem comes with flying commercial for payment. Again, no laws are on the books, but a big grey area exists because of the word commercial, and the word aircraft, which the FAA can regulate, but at this time there is no standard for regulation.

No one has been prosecuted for flying commercial. A few have been prosecuted for flying unsafe, and have indeed been fined. A lot has changed in the last couple of months, including the FAA no longer sending out cease and desist letters. There are many large aerial photographers who continue to fly commercial on advise from there attorneys and are doing so with no special exceptions.

With all that being said, the FAA can still make your life miserable if they so choose, so I suggest contacting an attorney if you plan on flying for money. Or you can just wait this thing out, which many are doing.

More info can be found on this Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/uavLegalNews/
Last edited by 99beers on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Also for fun, keep your eye on Panama City news this weekend. A commercial drone pilot has verbally challenged the FAA to shut him down as he flys for payment filming Mardi Gra parades this weekend.

He is loaded and will have two of his attorneys at his side. Of course, he will be flying safely by what little rules we have, not flying right above the crowds. He has no special exemptions, no pilots license, but he does have a million dollar liability policy he presented to the city with approval from them to fly.

Could be interesting.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”