Drones

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stang67
Duck South Addict

Re: Drones

Postby stang67 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm guessing the controller gets wet next.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm

You need to think about that kinda stuff. Ag planes and such flying low level are extremely at risk.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
three11
Veteran

Postby three11 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Johnboy114
Veteran

Postby Johnboy114 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Lots of potentials out there just like anything else. Around me there are no planes flying lower than 2-300 feet as there are buildings that high. Most of the drones now will return to their home point to land. I can turn my controller off while the drone is flying and it will automatically return. Pretty impressive stuff. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding these things as can be seen in this thread alone.
The faa is chomping at the bit to put restrictions on em that's for sure. Just saw an article today about the use with realtors and it's not allowed blah blah. They will be unavoidable in the future and I am sure we wi have to pay the gov't to fly in the air we breath just like everything else.
Galatians 2:20

Its a rat race down here, the only problem is that the rats are going to win!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 am

Just make sure people can see it coming.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
REBEL DUCK
Duck South Addict

Postby REBEL DUCK » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:35 pm

I bet they are about to regulate the heck out of them since one crashed at the White House
Get in where you fit in!
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:13 pm

"In the wrong hands, they are dangerous. Therefore the govt should restrict their use as much as possible." Where've I heard that before??
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:48 am

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:22 pm

"Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air."

This is straight out of the Federal Aviation Regulation, so be definition, all these drones are an aircraft. And you have to be licensed to fly an aircraft.

Also FAR 91.119 gives guidance for minimum safe altitudes. I copied this straight out of the regs to.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—

(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA; and

(2) A powered parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (c) of this section.

That paragraph (a) part is what is going to get people in trouble. If the thing takes a dump, can you garuntee that it won't hit someone or something on the ground and damage it. Also, the operators have to have a spotter, and it has to be flown " line of sight".
De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:28 pm

Now all that being said, I think there are a ton of things that can be done with these things, and when they get the regs all figured out and set. I may buy one and start doing those things. But I'm not going to risk all my ratings that took me almost ten years and 100K dollars to get it hoping the rules will work to my advantage. As for the people that are using them now, and get caught I hope you got deep pockets.
Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything." Harry S. Truman
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:49 pm

So are kites illegal to fly? Seems like a man could kill two birds with one stone if his "spotter" tethers some kite string to his drone. Seems to me more ted tape and bs rules and someone wanting to make a dollar. I bet the first time an airplane runs into one, the airplane isn't damaged and the drone doesn't walk away. I guess we need to be telling ducks and geese they don't need to share the sky's with planes. If they will reinstate lead use, you'll have a lot better case. #gubmentnonsense
DoublePslayer
Veteran

Postby DoublePslayer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Johnboy114
Veteran

Postby Johnboy114 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Galatians 2:20

Its a rat race down here, the only problem is that the rats are going to win!
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:47 pm

It takes a little skill to fly a RC plane. I think a 4 year old could fly a drone. I know maybe 5 guys in my area that fly RC's, but tons of folks are getting these drone copter things.

I really believe the White House lawn thing will hamper drone use.

― Franklin D. Roosevelt
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:27 am

deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”