Reloaders?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Up2Early
Veteran

Reloaders?

Postby Up2Early » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:27 am

Anybody in the Jackson area handload 308 Win? I'm looking for someone to learn from and to have some factory loads replicated. I have tons of one-round brass!

For now I want to replicate the Federal Premium 308A and the Remington Hog Hammer (168gr Barnes Triple-Shock X). The Federal loads are relatively inexpensive ($25/20) so its more about shooting volume. The Hog Hammer is sky high ($48/20).
SHR Up2Early's Delta Dawn

Check out my lanyards: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=32696&id=1348690753
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: Reloaders?

Postby cwink » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:59 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 am

same as Cwink and right down the street from him. I load several calibers but not .308. In order to match factory(not sure why) you would need to gather good bit of info. If it were me I would determine my end goal on usage whether it be long range, hunting, etc... and then start working up a load from there based on bullet type,size and recommended powders for that. I run the Barnes TSX out of .243 and .270 for hunting rounds. In both of those I'm Running IMR 4350.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm working on 308 right now for a DPMS LR-308 semi-automatic using CFE223 powder and the Barnes TSX 165 grain non-tipped. I am getting just a hair over 2800 ft./sec with one inch groups at 100 yards.

I would be able to offer opinions and advise here or by telephone, but would not be able to commit to a regular schedule.

I would encourage you to go ahead and figure out what brass you'll be using and get a few hundred pieces of the same head stamp. I'm using Lapua since winchester is non existent. Vann's has had a good selection of powders and primers lately so that shouldn't be an issue.

And most importantly go ahead and get a good, repeatable scale.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Buy the bullets, some Re15 or Varget, load with the bullet seated to mag length (or to kiss lands if you can). Start low on the powder charge and go shoot. Easy peasy.

Genuinely trying to mimic a factory load may be impossible. But you can do better working up your own load with a favorite bullet.
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:03 pm

I suspect the factory ammo often uses blended powders to get the velocities they advertise. Accuracy and repeatability should be your Goals.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Agree with the others on copying factory ammo. It is nearly impossible for the simple fact as you don't know what powder or powder blend they are using. Sure there may be internet posts out there, but who has a machine to positively identify the powder?

As stang67 mentioned, bullet seated nearly at or on the lands. Hard to imagine, but the bullet can wobble in the barrel which leads to inaccuracy. If you have a bolt action rifle, use the bolt to seat the bullet and measure the case overall length. There is enough leverage in the bolt to actually seat a bullet. Another thing if bolt action, you only need to neck size. No need to full length size on a bolt action rifle.

Some people will start 5% under max load and work up looking for signs of too high pressure. Once they see the signs, they then back off and start loading for accuracy using 1/2 grain or so differences in loads. I suggest getting a shooting vice, because your talking about doing a good bit of shooting to develop a load.

This past weekend I started working on a 35 Whelen for a buddy of mine. Loaded him three rounds using 53 grains of IMR 4895 and a 200gr Interlock Hornady bullet. He sent me a picture of his shoulder that was red. Told him glad it was him shooting and I'm the reloader. :)

My boss reloads and has told me stories of the target shooting competitions. Them guys are serious. Measuring each case to have the same weight of case, measuring the volume of each case to make sure each holds the same volume, even down to reloading on the spot at the competitions. Those guys are shooting LESS than 1/4" groups at 100 yards too.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:21 pm

And I wouldn't count on saving a ton of money.
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:36 pm

We reloaders dont save any money...cause we shoot alot more. Wish you were close to Grenada, i got some wicked loads for a 308 that shhot 1/2 min and under in the wifes Sendero. I shoot a sendero in 300 win mag and have a couple that shoot under 1/2 min for it also.
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:54 am

Quick Hijack. What is everyone else running as far as case trimmers are concerned? I currently use the el cheapo lee with the case length gauge but would love to step up to something that allows more precise trim lengths and also the ability to batch process quickly. I've been researching building my own out of a 1/15hp motor similar to the http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:01 am

I use the Wilson tool with a cordless drill.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/case ... 74622.aspx
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:05 am

I have the various Lee trimmers and a Foster Products Original case trimmer.
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 am

RCBS thingy that came with the set up.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Return to “General Discussion Forum”