Seized choked choke tube

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Seized choked choke tube

Postby GrizwalD » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Ok .... Who has a remedy for Gettin a seriously stuck choke tube freed up??
COON HUNTER
bmanning3
Regular

Re: Seized choked choke tube

Postby bmanning3 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:26 pm

tried giving it a soak in PB Blaster?
99beers
Veteran

Postby 99beers » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Take barrel off. Fill corner of Baggie with pb blaster. Stick end of barrel in that, and tape shut. Let soak for 24 hrs. Remove, stick choke removal tool in and commence to beat with a hammer! Works.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:18 am

Not to hijack, but I started using a Briley extended choke in my Gold last year and can't seem to keep it tight. What's the best tip for this? I've read plumbers teflon tape, grease, clear nail polish,...
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:32 am

here is the best method i have found for seriously stuck choke tubes.

hi-jack your wifes crock pot or go buy you a mini crock pot from wal mart

mix acetone and auto transmission fluid 50/50

place in the crock pot on warm and place barrel down in the solution and let it sit for a day

try to free if it - if it doesn't work -- soak it another day.

if then you still cant get it out - take it out a dry the oil off of it

take a blow dryer and heat the barrel - then take a can of compressed air - like the nerds clean their computers with. turn it upside down and blast the inside of the choke tube - freezing it

heating the barrel will expand it - freezing the choke will shrink it.

then try to get it out.

I would get a good quality choke wrench - not the key type
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:41 am

There are some "stuck" coke to removal tools available. Basically there is a rod that runs the length of the barrel that is threaded on the receiver end. A nut/washer/bushing type is attached to the threaded end. The other end of the rod there is a choke tube wrench. Tightening the nut/washear/bushing on the threaded end allows the coke tube wrench to stay engaged with the coke tube so you can apply the high torque required to remove the coke tube.

This may be hard to follow. Google it or go to Midway USA.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:24 am

freezer then heat soak in fluid or just take it to a good gunsmith and have them get it out for about 60 bucks. Don't depend on saving the choke. This is the main reason why I buy an extended choke for all my shotguns. if they get stuck you can drill a hole and use a cheater bar to get that thing out.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:16 am

For those who have suggested soaking in PB blast and what not.... the only reason i havent "Soaked" the end of the barrel is because i wasnt sure how it would react with the duratouch coating on the barrel.... I have tried heating the barrel and spraying pb blast but broke a brand new $25 choke tube wrench already.... when i work on fourwheelers i usually place the aluminum parts i need to remove bearings from in the freezer and get them out that way but was not sure if this would work on a shotgun barrel.... gonna try this method next.
COON HUNTER
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 am

Heat the barrell hot enough to melt candle wax when it touches it. When barrell is hot, melt candle wax all over the choke tube and let it get down in the threads, let the wax dry, the unscrew. Used this a ton working on engine blocks at a machine shop. You would go from breaking a wrench trying to get a rusted stuck bolt out to unscrewing it with a screwdriver. OF course I was using a torch to heat it up, you may not want to get your barrell that hot....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”