Need help with a Savage Model 110 25/06

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Nuker

Need help with a Savage Model 110 25/06

Postby Nuker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:21 am

I have 'aquired" a Savage Model 110 in 25/06. The reason I "aquired" it was because they fired a 308 round thru it. So....I took it to the local gunsmith who 1st replaced the ejector pin as it was broken. Upon further review, the barrel was ruined. Ive heard some folks say that all you have to do is unscrew the barrell and screw another on. Others have said you need a head spacer tool to be able to measure from the shoulder in the chamber (which yes...is in the barrel) and the bolt face. While its as easy as screwing on a new barrel, one might think I need to consider some other issues.

Now this is gonna be a project gun. One that I will learn from and repair it at the same time. I dont mind taking it to a gunsmith and letting him do the work, I just want your imput as to who might be best. (The local guy says he doesnt do the barrel work) Traveling is a non issue.......I dont mind. If I can get it fixed, Im gonna float it, bead it, get a good looking stock for it, a good scope and get it ready to hunt speed goats in New Mexico.

So......those with expertise, chime in........
teul2
Duck South Addict

Re: Need help with a Savage Model 110 25/06

Postby teul2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 am

No rifle expert, but I would think you'd have to have the head space checked / set on a new barrel.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
edub20
Duck South Addict

Postby edub20 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:10 am

check out savageshooters.com, they have a lot of useful info, howto's, etc...
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
wingman21
Veteran

Postby wingman21 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Can I ask how they did that, seems that would be difficult unless done on purpose.

If I remember correct On a savage you need a barrel lug wrench, torque wrench and a headspace gauge, and that's about it. As long as you aren't changing caliber.
ShiftZ
Regular

Postby ShiftZ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 pm

If you make it to the Brandon area there is a new gunshop/ gunsmith.

SaltDog LLC
Ste B., 1024, Brandon, MS
(601) 825-0697

The owner is named John and he does incredible work. Replacing the barrel wouldn't be a problem. He also does cerakote. Tell him Bill sent you.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Take it to Bills Gun shop in Utica

He is one of the best in the state - and really knows what he is doing and is a accuracy guru.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:09 pm

Second on checking out Savageshooters.com.

I was this close to buying a 22-250 barrel for my Savage 10FP. Just have to change bolt face and swap barrels. However, you do need the above mentioned tools. Unless you plan on doing more of this work on Savages, buying the tools will cost more than just taking to a gunsmith to swap them for you.

Savageshooters also will have suggestions on aftermarket barrels. Savage makes great barrels, but since you are effectively starting from scratch, spending a few extra bucks will get you a top notch aftermarket barrel.

As for stocks, Bell and Carlson make several great ones for Savages that won't break the bank. You can step up to the McMillans, but you'll have to pay a bunch more.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Return to “General Discussion Forum”