MSU Shooting Sports Club

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

MSU Shooting Sports Club

Postby Anatidae » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 am

Here's a link to the MSU Shooting Sports Club on Facebook - tentative date for a benefit shoot honoring Ralph Weems is Sunday October 5th (weekend of the A&M game). Check their FB page for updates. I believe it will be a 'skeet' event.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/MSU-Shooting-Sports/576357389067637

I encourage you to show your support. This is a great group of young adults and a very competitive group of shooters. You'll be amazed! (as I am). I'm sure (once determined) you will be shooting or contributing for a worthy cause.

The MSUSS Club has already received 2 donations of $300 apiece. I was in West Point for 5-1/2 hours yesterday and stopped by Gary's Pawn & Gun to talk to Mr. Dedeaux about possibly helping us out with a gun raffle or other prizes.

If you, or someone you know would like to donate cash or prizes just follow the FB page or contact me and I'll put you in touch with the apporpriate event chairperson.

If you are a student and would like to see what we're all about, we meet on Wednesday afternoons. You can shoot between around 3:00 (usually) until dark.....with a Club Meeting at 5:00 - this normally lasts 45min-1hour depending on what 'business' is on the agenda.

I believe the cost is $10/round (round is 25 targets) which included Remington target loads. We have 12 and 20ga loads available for purchase, or you can bring your own 'target' ammo.....(nothing exceeding 1-1/8oz and no larger than 7-1/2 shot). If you provide your own shells, the cost for a round of trap or skeet is $5 for the targets. Our sSporting Clays traps are currently being re-built and we should have the 5-stand going, soon.

We have eye and ear protection available and a limited number of shooting pouches (belt-clip style for a box of shells). We also have shotguns you can use if you don't have one.

So, if you don't shoot as well as you'd like on the dove field this Monday - or if you're interested in shooting and want to learn 'how' - we can help you improve your shooting skills, meet some great kids, and enjoy shooting. The Starkville Gun Club has several NSSA-NRA certified shooting instructors. The MSUSSC has a shotgun division AND a rifle/pistol division.

There are 2 levels of membership (MSUSSC) - Club and Competition. We will brief you on the cost and benefits of both when you come out on any Wednesday.

You can also purchase a membership to the Starkville Gun Club and have access to the dovered rifle/pistol ranges, and the shotgun fields. The cost per/round of 25 targets for SGC members is $4 or you can purchase a 20-round target card for $70....($3.50 / round). I doubt you will find a cheaper arrangement anywhere. The current membership dues in $100/per year and I believe if you join NOW (in the middle of the year starting Januray), the dues are for the remaining few months in the calendar year + annual membership through the end of 2015. I'm not sure what the adjusted cost is for that....probably $150.

With the improvements we're making in our facilities, there's been discussion of a dues increase for next year, but details have not been finalized. I believe our current membership is around 300.

Come see us.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Re: MSU Shooting Sports Club

Postby hntrpat1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:08 am

I always enjoyed shooting out there
donia
Duck South Addict

MSU Shooting Sports Club

Postby donia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am

a hybrid pistol range is in the works (shoot from a ventilated indoor area to an outdoor retrievable target) , as well as dividing the existing 2 outdoor pistol bays to make 6 pistol bays total and an overflow slot on the rifle range.
a grill gets cranked up, from time to time, too!
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”