Hunting the MS River

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Hunting the MS River

Postby duramax » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 am

So since I acquired an 1860 boat, I think I'll give it a whirl on the Mississippi River this season. Aside from the usual "be safe" tips, is there anyone who can share some trick of the trade? I've read several articles on this, but they were all fairly similar related to hunting high or low water, and freezing temps being preferable. Nothing about which island types are most likely to hold birds. I've heard sand bars with slack water on them can be great, and hunting out of layout blinds. I'm fairly interested in giving that a try specifically. I'd love to get into some divers a few times to mix it up as well.

I'll be hunting fairly close to Memphis as well. Any other knowledge from folk who do this fairly regularly will be greatly appreciated. PM if you feel like divulging any trade secrets you don't want to broadcast in the open. :lol: :lol:
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
jmh600
Veteran

Re: Hunting the MS River

Postby jmh600 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 pm

First thing is start keeping up with the river stage .Go do ALOT exploring right now while the water is low. Mainly figure out where the dikes and sandbars are and how many miles your boat will go on a tank of gas. Be sure you have tools that you can work on your motor. You will more than likely break down at some point. Have a pull rope to start your motor if you have to. Make friends with somebody else that hunts or fishes around the area your hunting. We usually have 2 boats going to different spots and keep in touch throughout the morning. The river is a very neat place just be prepared.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
tupe
Veteran
Location: MS/LA/IL/WI/ND and anywhere else I can get to. Born in MS.

Postby tupe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Been hunting the river for about 12 years now. My father and grandfather were river hunters.

#1 rule : RESPECT will get you a lot further than fear.

#2 It is not IF you wind up stuck on the river, its just a matter of when. BE PREPARED. I haul extra clothes and emergency blankets, fire starter etc.

Other than that be ready for a great challenge and rewarding experience. Keep DETAILED notes. The birds shift with every move the river makes. And year to year holes and sandbars change, A LOT.

It is not like any other hunting, the timing of flights is different and the birds react differently to weather, decoys, calling ... everything on the river.

In my life I have hunted all four flyways and 17 states. The river, to me, is the most challenging and rewarding place to hunt.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Some of my favorite memories are on the MS River. Be patient out there. Pack a lunch and don't be afraid to wait out those mid morning flights. Fond memories of that 10:30-12 flight. That MS river is a major channel for migrating birds. When its right, it cannot be beat.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19 am

Find goat weed and millet now. Then when it floods hunt there.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”