Ask DS: Rome, Italy

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Ask DS: Rome, Italy

Postby skywalker » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Got a chance to spend a few days in Rome, Italy. Anybody visited there? I know about seeing the Colliseum and St Peter's Basilica. Any other sites to see? Will be and Mrs Skywalker.

Thanks fellas.
dukhntn
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS: Rome, Italy

Postby dukhntn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:30 pm

We visited Pantheon, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Capitoline, La Bocca della Verita, 100 gelato places, and a dozen other things I'm forgetting in addition to what you've mentioned. Pompeii is a couple of hours away and would be worth the trip.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. -George Bernard Shaw
JaMak84
Duck South Addict

Postby JaMak84 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:21 am

When in Rome......
deltadukman: "We may not agree on everything, but we all like t!tties"
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:15 am

We have found a few tours of Pompeii and Naples that leave from Rome, about a 12 hour ordeal........I would really like to see that.
adame
Duck South Addict

Postby adame » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 am

When will you be there? Are you going to be around Venice at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:35 am

When are you going? My wifes uncle lives there about 4-5 months out of the year for the past 10-15 years. If I can catch up to him in the next few days I will get all the info you need.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:20 am

Barring any major surprises, mid October timeframe. Not close to Venice at all.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:06 pm

I was there the end of July. Here are some tips:

1) Visit the Roman Forum and the Colosseum on the same day. They are right next to each other. Buy the combo ticket at the Roman Forum. The line here is very short otherwise you will be in line at the Colosseum for hours. When you go to the Colosseum, make sure you are in the right line since you already have your ticket and you're not in the line to purchase tickets. 2 or 3 hours to cover both.

2) Download Rick Steve's audio guides for both on your phone. He also has one for the Pantheon, St. Peters, and Sistine Chapel. You will enjoy the sights much more with the audio guide.

3) St. Peter's is free. Get there early and there will be no line. The Vatican museum includes the Sistine Chapel and requires a ticket. Buy your tickets online ahead of time. The line is ridiculous otherwise. I would get a ticket for around 11 or after. This way you can go to St Peter's first while there is no line and then go get your pre-purchased tickets afterwards. FYI shorts and bare shoulders are not allowed in St. Peters. they are especially strict with the women on dress.

4) The Trevi Fountain is being cleaned/restored at the moment. Drained and covered with scaffolding. Worth seeing if your in the area, but don't go out of your way.

5) Mediterranean is only a 40 minute to hour train ride away depending on where you go. We did this on our last day. It was a nice break from the crowds in Rome.

We stayed at the IQ Hotel Roma. It was moderately priced and was very modern and Americanized. It an easy walk to the train station. I enjoyed it compared to some of the other hotels we stayed in on the trip. I stayed in a Hilton and Four Points Sheraton, and they are not the same quality you would get in the US.

If you need anymore specifics, just pm me and I will be glad to help.
B3
Duck South Addict

Postby B3 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:55 am

Pompeii is a preserved ancient city but is a full day trip. Another preserved ancient city is much closer. You can look up Ostia antica. Coastal port of Ancient Rome and only about a half hour away. No crowds.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”