Let's talk grass. Sprigging Bermuda, killing Bahia

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Let's talk grass. Sprigging Bermuda, killing Bahia

Postby matador1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Bought a 3 acre lot that is in Bahai mainly, maybe some centipede mixed in. Lots of weeds. I want to go to Bermuda over time. I was told to sprig it in Bermuda and as it takes over you can spray the Bahai and kill it. 1. True? 2. Best practice? 3. I know they actually make a sprigging machine, any idea of one around Madison area or someone to do it?
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
99beers
Veteran

Re: Let's talk grass. Sprigging Bermuda, killing Bahia

Postby 99beers » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:40 pm

lol, good luck with that.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:07 pm

If you want to go ahead no start trying to kill the Bahia the you can start hitting it with glyphosate now. As for sprigging, I would wait till next year if it were me. We are about 45-60 days before Bermuda really starts getting ready for winter, that and September is notorious for army worms which are already bad this year. You should have time to hit the Bahia atleast twice this year before it tried to go dormant. One thing you must know is that Bahia grows predominantly from stolons which means your not going to get it completely with one shot.... And tillage won't help much either.
work hard, play hard
JLT
Veteran

Postby JLT » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:21 am

I have a turf grass guy, a sprigging machine and the sprigs in Brandon. I will be in touch.
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 am

Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

Hit it all with 4 to 5 lbs acre rate of MSMA, will burn the bermuda a little, but it will make it through, will toast everything else, put out unhulled bermuda seed in the fall and it will sprout in the spring, then fert. the heck out of it.
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

I have a similar question... i have 5 acres, 50% bahia.. I'd like to kill the bahia and let the other grass take over. It's just pasture grass (no idea what it is really called) but eventually I'll start over seeding with fescue. I have a decent stand of Kentucky 31 started now from the spring, will start back overseeding in a couple months.

What can I spray to kill back the bahia and not touch the other grass too bad?

Dead

And if you're best asnwer is good luck with that.. kindly ignore this thread, it's not for you.
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
MrGoodtime
Veteran

Postby MrGoodtime » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Deadeye, use a rope wick on the front of tractor or 4 wheeler, when it gets about a foot high or higher, fill the wick with round-up and set it abot 8in high, that way it will only get round-up on the taller grass
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 pm

Manor, MSM 60DF (metsulfuron) will selectively take out bahaigrass from bermuda.
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
jestridg
Veteran

Postby jestridg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Mansion (metasulfuron) specifically targets Bahia grass and is good for all turf grasses. Mite take two treatments but will smoke the Bahia. Fairly inexpensive too.
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:10 am

cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:08 pm

I'm sure you've figured it out already, but the reason for the small bottle is because sulfonylurea herbicides like metsulfuron are applied at very low use rates and a 2 oz bottle can cover up to 8 acres based on the lowest rate for bahiagrass control. Don't forget the nonionic surfactant too!
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:36 am

I will be applying to centipede which looks like .25 to .5 oz per acre. So I will get several treatments out of the 2 oz. bottle.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”