Anybody live in or around Memphis?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Been in the Germantown and Cordova areas all week looking for a house to rent. Will be moving here shortly to start a new job. Any recommendations for places to live with a reasonable drive to the Agricenter? I've been trying to find a smaller house with garage to park my trailer and four-wheeler and fenced backyard for my lab. I've been close a couple of times, but no house yet. Any help would be appreciated.
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Re: Anybody live in or around Memphis?

Postby QUACKERS » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Not sure of housing ,but you must go eat at Germantown Commissary Dayuuuum it's good
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Honestly, get in olive branch. House right down from me has all that your looking for. It just came up for rent last week. I live roughly 20 minutes from agricenter. We live minutes from germantown and memphis.
Germantown is nice, but price is a little up there on everything. Cordova has its good parts and bad parts like anywhere else.
Good luck and need any help PM me.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
nez
Veteran

Postby nez » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 pm

PM sent
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:50 pm

I've been here for a little while (22 yrs). Damn I gotta get back to the country! I have a buddy that a realtor that could prob point you in the right direction for finding rentals. Guessing your working with DU, just a guess, could be wrong. Let me know if you want Cal's info.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:55 pm

sent you a pm Redeyed Duck
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
Scully
Veteran

Postby Scully » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:10 am

Cordova has more bad than good. Buy in one of the incorporated towns, across the MS line or across the Tipton Co. line or Memphis is liable to annex you. Memphis is a cesspool- be careful and always carry
He said" The sheriff is near"
Lazy Drake
Veteran

Postby Lazy Drake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 am

If you are not looking to buy, just rent in TN to avoid the state income tax. I would not buy a home in Cordova but to rent for a short time should be ok. Just scout the area real good, cordova has gone down over the years. When it is time to buy haul butt to olive branch or move to collierville and avoid the state income taxes. I am not a big fan of the state income tax with the crazy high car tags as you can see.
Everything is illegal now, except for the stuff that's mandatory.

MemphisStockBroker
Duck South Addict

Postby MemphisStockBroker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:28 am

we should talk. LOTS of places around Memphis that you need to stay out of... being a white country boy.. The brothers like to steal dogs and use them for training their pit bulls to fight. happens allot
Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, count to ten, take a deep breath and remind yourself that you wouldn't look good in prison stripes... and just smile at that dumbass and walk away.
foxtrot
Regular

Postby foxtrot » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 am

If you are renting a house in Cordova, at some point you will get broken into... If your working at the Agricenter and looking for a safe place to live with a short commute, I would begin by looking in the Eads community or east of Lakeland or somewhere well east of Cordova. You can take a few backroads to Walnut Grove and the commute would be fairly easy.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am

I live in Colliervlle. I love it. I'm 31, but I'm married with kids, so I live a pretty tame life. I'm not sure about your situation, but if you are single, Collierville is a long ways from anything happening. West parts of Germantown are great, but not cheap. Germantown is by far the worst place in the Memphis area for how far your money will go for a property. But you have peace of mind that it's unlikely your house will be broken into. South Cordova as close to Walnut Grove/Germantown Pkwy is not bad. Should be able to find a lot of nice small homes for rent, and only minutes from your work. There's a few neighborhoods on the northern edge of Sheby Farms where I know a few folks that live there, and they like it. That would be my pick. Around Overton Square in Memphis is definitely the most hip area of town, but you're surrounded by the worst parts of Memphis. You would also be about 20x more likely to get your place broken into that Gtown or Collierville. Not exaggerating. The break in rate for Collierville is about 0.001%. That's the likelihood you will be broken into. In Memphis overall it's 0.02%. That's 2000 break-ins per 100,000 homes, versus 150 per 100,000. Neighborhoods in East Memphis just inside the 240 loop from Park (street just south of Poplar) up to Walnut grove are not horrible, but still not the safest place. Great location though, and good value for your $. PM me and we can get phone numbers if you have more detailed questions.

As mentioned, living in TN will save you a bunch in taxes.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

Postby quack_a_tack » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:57 pm

I have lived in Bartlett the last ten years. I have no complaints, it's just city living. I could keep an eye open and talk to a guy I know that has a couple rentals in Bartlett one that is just down the street from me, he may have somethin.
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Not sure of your age or what your into but I just moved from Memphis and I lived in the Highpoint neighborhood for 2 years and my girlfriend still has a house there. Very nice neighborhood with ALOT of young singles and couples. It's a quiet neighborhood but there is a lot going on. Most afternoons people are walking dogs, running, or just outside. Galloway golf course within walking distance, i rarely heard of things getting stolen but it does happen.. It's Memphis.. I actually saw 2 houses for rent next door to a house full of girls I went to college with. I loved it. Call or text me if you want more details 601-720-2904.
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 pm

My answer was going to be: HE11 NO!
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”