Ask DS...

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Ask DS...

Postby camlock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am

got a new family pet...he's a pure bred American Bulldog (named Reb, jtdumallard :lol: )

Looking for recommendations on books for dog training, specifically obedience and respect training, keeping in mind this dog will not be a hunting dog. His purpose is a companion dog to my two little boys and family pet, but we wanted a large breed with protective instincts. Understanding we will be doing a lot of socialization and respect training with him so he's well balanced. I'd like a good book recommendation for respect training from a young age...

Pic for reference! HA

IMG957892.jpg

IMG957891.jpg
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS...

Postby dukluk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:38 am

Hahaha....an Ole Miss fan with a pet "Bulldog"....just go ahead and change his name to "Bullie".

(sorry, just couldn't help myself.) :mrgreen:
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am

sevenhead
Veteran

Postby sevenhead » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:13 am

My father in law has one and let me tell you that dog is wild. Amazingly athletic though and dang smart, I found it a little hard to get her to focus. I wouldn't think temperment would be a big issue I always thought of them generally "nicer" than other big breeds (shepards, rotties, pits). FIL's bulldog was more stubborn than my rottie but the bulldog is much more social than mine also. As an owner of a bigger breed, if I had to do it again, I would've went out somewhere for training so she maybe could've been socialized a little better.
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am

Just kiddin' with ya....beautiful pup you got there !!!
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm

Those two have mischief written all over em and I love it! :lol:
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
quackerkiller
Veteran

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm

There is a fella who train personal protection dogs in the Jackson area... Can't remember his name, but he breeds and trains bandogs.... He could def give you some pointers... I will say this, we have a bulldog inside and of ALL the dogs I've ever had, he is the most affectionate dog I've ever seen! Hey WINGMAN I took that dog home that was at the boat ramp that day..... You oughta see her now man!
Brandon Thornton

"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.... A guns only enemies, are Obama and rust....."
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:42 am

I have a 164 lb rottweiler who is a house dog. I highly recommend spending the time and money for a good trainer if your going to have one of the larger working class dogs as a pet especially around kids. They tend to have dominance issues that need to be addressed early and often. Things that might appear to you as "playing" when their a puppy can soon turn into a problem when they get bigger and stronger. I love the big working class dogs but they definitely take more attention to assure no aggression or dominance issues down the road. Find a trainer who can take you through the k-9 good citizenship program. It will ensure that your pup is well socialized and knows all of the basic and some intermediate commands. A book will not be a good substitute for a trainer who is knowledgable of these type dogs.

All of that said my Rottweiler is the smartest most loving dog we have ever had and there is no doubt that he would protect our family with his life. It just took a lot more work to keep him submissive and socialized than other breeds i've owned.

Good luck with your new pup
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:40 am

I've had large breeds as well, and I think you are going about it in absolutely the right way. Active socialization WITH the kids early, often, and consistent. Keep the same with the training - early, often and consistent. And before you know it, you'll have the best home and family protection in the world.

Good luck with the pup.
Nobody owes you anything.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:58 am

thanks for the feedback...after researching more yesterday we have decided to start him on weekly obedience and respect training with local guy that does Dick Russell training. I think I'm still gonna order some E-books to read just to enhance my knowledge and learn a few new things. I've studied about training retrievers, and have done entry level retriever training with my two labs...but this is a bit new...I will say, this dude is pretty smart. We brought him home Friday night, he turned 12 weeks old Sunday. As of yesterday, he comes to me on command about 80%. He went all night without accident in his kennel and goes in and out his kennel without much fuss, doesn't bark or whine throughout the night...put him in at 10 last night and I got up once at 5 am to took him out, he peed and went right back in kennel to sleep until I got him up at 7 this morning, took him out and he went on command. So it seems positive so far...
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
camlock
Duck South Sponsor

Postby camlock » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 am

Get him around other people and other dogs very often at a young age. Just make sure that its in an environment that you can control so you can correct any bad behavior. With any high energy breed, daily exercise is very important. Teach him to fetch. Its the easiest way to exercise them. Even though its not a retriever, I believe that giving the dog some type of job is very important and that regular structured training in his early years will shape him into a well behaved and calm family pet once he matures.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”