Wildlife Cameraman Crashed his Ultralight Monday

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Wildlife Cameraman Crashed his Ultralight Monday

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 am

I know you've heard of him if you've watched Realtree, Hank Parker, Buck Commander, or any of Richard Childress/Austin Dillon's hunts on TV. Richard Stafford aka "Mississippi" crashed his Ultralight in Louisiana Monday evening and died from his injuries. He was definitely one of the best. We were lucky to have him go with us on our elk hunt to New Mexico a couple of years ago. He's known as the big prankster on all the shows and definitely made you laugh the whole time. He was from Pontotoc.

http://www.knoe.com/story/25913450/smal ... ula-parish
medic11
Veteran

Re: Wildlife Cameraman Crashed his Ultralight Monday

Postby medic11 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 am

He was the full time cameraman for the Honey Brake. Mississippi was one of the funniest guys I've ever been around, he also had a huge heart. He'd been through a lot of adversity in life and always came out the other side with a smile on his face. When I teal hunted with him last year his ultralight crash count was around 8. He'll definetly be missed by everyone, dude never met a stranger and could turn your day around with a few jokes.

The first time he met Richard Childress, Richard invited him to come along to a race, Mississippi told him he really didn't feel like spending the weekend at a damn dirt track. Ha he even told Richard how to get better grip on dirt tracks..... Needless to say Mississippi was a little surprised when he got to the track with Childress.
Freedom Hunters
http://www.freedomhunters.org

Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 am

Wow, so sad to hear. I actually got to hunt with him and his brother on my first trip to Canada. They were hunting with Houston Astros pitcher Shane Reynolds at the same outfitter we were at. He was definitley a funny man. He even used us as a test audience for his "Bubba Buck" prank video.
Natty
Veteran

Postby Natty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 am

His family has been through a lot. I mean A LOT. In the past 3 years they've lost one son to a car wreck, the other son is confined to a wheelchair because of another wreck, and now Richard's passing. His surviving son, Richard Jr., has an amazing outlook on life and has shown incredible strength through everything he's been through. I had heard that Richard recently told friends he had his heart right with God. Sad news but that's good to know.
The Waterfowler
Veteran

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:43 am

So sorry to hear. He was a true character and friend. I have a bunch of his DVD's and hunting with him in Canada was a definite bonus. As Patrick said he was a funny guy and added so much to the trip.
Helping ducks have a bad day since 1961.

http://www.getducks.com
www.thewaterfowlerjournal.com
We hunt the World!
Long Cut
Veteran

Postby Long Cut » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:05 pm

He and his oldest son filmed me on a turkey hunt in Calhoun county a few years back. I think he was teaching the oldest boy how to film before he had the wreck that put him in a wheelchair. He kept me entertained the whole time we hunted with stories. Man hunted turkeys with me in a pair of jeans roper boots and a camo jacket with a hood no face mask and no call. He called with his mouth and had turkeys run 500 yds at us and never paid attention to him not being fully camoed. He was a rare one. Glad I got to hunt with him.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:23 pm

peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Prayer Sent
Peewee
Barq's
Veteran

Postby Barq's » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:57 pm

I'm 8000 miles from Mississippi and I've got tears in my eyes....sad and tragic. I think most of us can attest that we have all faltered in life at one time or another and it's a blessing beyond comprehension to be right with the Man when your time is called to go meet Him.

I'm thankful that he went out on a high-note and that he is remembered for the good and not the bad. May God bless his family and give them comfort in knowing he walks on streets of gold...Thank God that He gave him the time to mend his broken ways...
Sad....
Barq's
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Being from Pontotoc this hits close to home; that family has been hammered by tragedy but keeping their spirits up. As Richard's brother Jeff, who is the mayor of Pontotoc, said - "everyone e has a Richard story". RIP.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”