Ask DS: New home construction

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Ask DS: New home construction

Postby stitch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 pm

New home construction, would you build on a slab or conventional foundation?
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Re: Ask DS: New home construction

Postby southernvaughan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Slab. I've wieghed the options of both. A deep footed footed slab cut out on the front and partially the sides to give it the raised look is the way to go! Just has to be on good dirt that's been properly compacted.
bowbird
Regular

Postby bowbird » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:38 am

We just moved into our new home a month ago. When we were talking with the contractor he suggested a raised slab. It is 3 blocks high with the dirt backfilled and then the slab is poured. We are very pleased.
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:56 am

....I always thought a slab was the way to go....where I live the soil has a history of "moving"....lots of houses with foundation issues....so I am leaning towards conventional because it would be easier to correct issues /shifting on conventional vs slab....but I really like a slab
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:45 am

A slab will be fine as long as you get the soil tested and take the right measures to ensure you aren't building on expansive clays and get it packed correctly. The one I'm building now is on a 5.5 inch slab but I had the outside footings dug down about 5 foot and made them 24" thick. Then you cut out the grade wherever you want it to look raised. You will still have problems with either one if you don't get the dirt right. Conventional is a lot more expensive to build as well and you have to fight moisture problems. These days on conventionals they pour a 2" mud slab then build the conventional up over that.
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Conventional Stitch - conventional.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
stitch
Duck South Addict

Postby stitch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 pm

novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:14 pm

Slab on grade beams is and will always be my suggestion.
You only have one chance to get it right so start out right.
I have seen conventional, thin slab, post tension, etc but the grade beam (exterior footing) with interior smaller beams on 16 ft to 20 ft centers will overcome many issues that you encounter during the life of a home.
The theory in a nutshell is this:
Changes in soil moisture content cause 99.999% of the problem with any foundation. It can be constantly wet, it can be constantly dry, but no soil on this planet can retain the same volume while going thru a 20% moisture change..............dry as heck on year, wet as heck the next, or wet then dry throughout the seasons( especially true with highly expansive clays).
Good site drainage and gutters can help most of the times but i like the grade beam design because it takes these variables out of the equation.
Conventional footings go through differential settlement by the footing strip(or pier) being wetter on one side or wall than the other parts during a wet/dry cycle. This causes differential settlement.
Conventional slabs curl up or curl down depending on the moisture content of the exterior of the house. This causes diagonal wall cracks or interior slab cracks to form.
The beauty of the grade beam (waffle slab) is that the whole thing can curl up/curl down/ corner elevate/corner settle but it all stays together.
The downside is that its a little more expensive to build due to layout and additional reinforcement in the interior beams but like i said, you only have one chance to get it right.
Just my 2 cents worth............................................
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
mlj300
Veteran

Postby mlj300 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:24 pm

I just built a house in Alcorn County and went with a conventional for several reasons. I am really pleased with it. My footing is 4 feet deep and 2 feet wide with 64 load bearing piers placed at different intervals. I have had zero problems in the first year with any kind of shifting. I have had a problrm with moisture under the house but have it under control now. I believe that both foundation types have their merits but in Alcorn county or the city of corinth (ecspecially the nort side) a conventional will hold up a little better against the crappy soil types we have. Few people around here have slab foundations without eventually having issues with setteling or cracking. Just my 2 cents
Only Those Born & Raised in Nort East Mississippi Will Know Exactly What i MeanTo Those Set Adrift Amidst BrokeDick Rednecks,Radical Pentecostalism,Moonshine Bootleggers and PusserMania,There are Two Kings to Choose From-Elvis or Jesus.
-Jimbo Mathus
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:12 pm

southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Yeah in some counties around here they won't even allow the block wall style foundation.
bhuggins
Veteran

Postby bhuggins » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:56 pm

duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Contact Norman Cornelius - he will provide a soil analysis for that area and assist.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
tica-tica
Veteran

Postby tica-tica » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:37 pm

if a builder is involved, get an independent home inspector to go thru it with a fine tooth comb before final payment. Best money I ever spent.
bowbird
Regular

Postby bowbird » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”