Heartworm test is positive

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Bamawebfoot
Veteran

Heartworm test is positive

Postby Bamawebfoot » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:51 pm

Just wondering how many of you guys have went through heartworms with your pup. My dog is a six year old black lab named Huck. The way we got here is stupid and my fault. Back in early 2012 my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Since I am an only child, I took a leave of abscence and helped my Mom care for Dad until he passed away in November of 2012. Before I headed off to Mississippi for one of my two hunting trips that year, I took Huck for his annual exam in December of 2012. He was on preventative meds and he was clear of heartworms. Well not too far into 2013, my Mom started getting sick, ultimately being diagnosed with lung cancer. I did the same with her and took care of her until she passed away in March of this year. Sometime between my Dad's death and me being Mom's daily caregiver, Huck's preventative med just slipped through the mental crack. When I took him and my daughter's Golden for their annual check-up, they were 6 months past due for rabies and all the other shots.

The vet put him back on the preventative and said she wants to wait until cooler weather to treat him. This is all uncharted territory for us. He is very healthy, according to the vet, other than the heart worms. He exhibits no symptoms. He runs and swims as much as ever and shows no fatigue. Of course, I have been making him take it easy since last week. Have any of you had to deal with heartworms???? I feel awful for letting his meds slip my mind.
sevenhead
Veteran

Re: Heartworm test is positive

Postby sevenhead » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:14 pm

My dog went through it when she was around 3 and she was on preventative so don't feel too bad about it. She made it through just fine. I would think if your pup is active and healthy you have a far greater chance of success, but i'm no vet.
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 pm

It can kill the dog. It's a roll of the dice. Mine made it. It was ruff on him. 10yrs ago tho. I had a old school VET tell me once that most dogs would test + even when they have been on HWP since a puppy.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I now give mine the 6 month shot. After a year or so, they'll usually be negative. You don't necessarily have to get the treatment. The shot i use can work like a treatment too.....it has for several of our vets' clients.
maverick21
Veteran

Postby maverick21 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Ran into when mine was 4, he's 12 now, the treatment was rough but bounced back pretty quickly.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 am

Jack tested positive last year, when he was 8. The vet said that if he was under 6, then he would suggest taking the treatment. Over 7 yo, then it starts to get iffy as to whether he can survive it or not. My wife and I decided against doing the aggressive treatment, but it was a hard decision to make. We've been very strict about taking the HWP since then, and Jack has shown no signs of any trouble whatsoever. He's 9 now and hasn't slowed a bit.
Nobody owes you anything.
billyho
Veteran

Postby billyho » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:23 pm

My chocolate male tested positive when he was 5 and was on preventative. Had treatment done made it through just fine. 2 years later after switching preventatives he tested positive again. Vet suggested his age could play a factor in treatment, decided to do it again and he made it through again. Switched preventive again obviously and he is now 11 1/2 years old. He slowed a little last duck season, other than that he's healthy as can be. Point is don't feel bad about missing meds. I gave mine religiously and still tested positive. As far as treatment different dogs handle it different ways. First time scared me to death but he made it, second time wasn't as bad. For an 11 year old dog he is as active as he can be, picked up every duck I shot last season. Hope this helps with your decisions.
Bamawebfoot
Veteran

Postby Bamawebfoot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:16 pm

I appreciate the replies. I have been reading alot about heartworm treatment and am still not sure what I am going to do, but leaning towards the vet reccomended treatment. I will be talking more with the vet and reading more on my own. Thanks again for the responses.
mfalkner
Duck South Addict

Postby mfalkner » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

I've done the aggressive treatment on one dog, years ago, it about put him under but he recovered. My 10 YO BLF tested positive last year despite being on preventative; vet recommended the full treatment but we decided to wait. She gave her an injection - sorry, don't recall the medication - as kind of a "light" treatment and we will retest this summer. Meanwhile giving preventative. She never showed any effect from the shot and is not symptomatic, but then again she has gone stone blind from other causes, so she's not nearly as active as most labs.
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:01 pm

The way they do treatments these days is a lot less stressful. Huck will be fine.

Worst case I ever saw was while I was a vet tech in Rankin county in 97-98ish. Xrays were horrible and there was no way the dog would live through one dose of the arsenic treatment. The volume of worms that a dose killed would end up blocking the lungs. The Dr. actually put the dog under, opened up an artery in the neck, and went down the artery, into the heart with alligator forceps, grabbed wads of the worms, and pulled them out the neck. It was a crazy surgery. He removed enough of the worms that the dog could make it through the treatment with out flooding the lungs.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:20 am

I have an update on Jack. We just got back from the vet on Friday, and both Jack, and the lapyapper, tested negative for heartworms. To celebrate, Jack and I went for a run for the first time in two years. (That's how long it took to get these infernal b@$&@%ds out of his system.) And for the record, short of my bride getting back in town, that is the best thing to happen last week. But then, that's a post for another thread. One which does include a prescribed quantity of adult beverages.
Nobody owes you anything.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 am

Instead of buying the high dollar stuff the vet says use, I get olive leaf pills and feed them to the dogs everyday. Between a lab, boxer and 2 $#!+ none have them. I had another boxer that did have them and started the olive leaf and they all died off and prevented any damage to him. He lived to be 11 also and was on olive leaf for id guess 6-7 yrs.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Tell us more about the olive leaf pills
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:46 pm

A vet down at MSU told dad about them one day. They treat all types of worms.
I buy it OTC at Walmart and put in food or a treat and give it to them 1 time a day. The 2 big dogs give 2 a day, $#!+ I give 1 each a day.
When my male boxer came down with heart worms it was horrible everyday. The coughing and choking sounds were horrible. At night when it got cool he would or anytime he got excited. So my dads buddy was a vet down there and was telling him about it. Within I'd guess 4 months I took tank back to the vet to have him rechecked and he no signs of them. Explained to the vet what I had been doing and obviously it worked. All his signs went away and basically become another dog with no coughing and all that. Loved for years like this. I never one time crated him or kept him from doing his everyday stuff.
He wasn't a laid back gentle dog either. He was close to 90# solid muscle and loved to fetch. Just wouldn't step a toe in a water puddle but would retrieve any bird or toy you threw.
May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff

Return to “General Discussion Forum”