Pioneer vs Viking

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
ntzhunter
Veteran

Pioneer vs Viking

Postby ntzhunter » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:14 am

I am and have always been a Honda man but haven't heard the greatest reviews on the Honda Pioneer. I am really impressed with the small amount of research I've done on the Yamaha Viking. Any personal reviews on the Viking or Pioneer? BTW I will not be "mud riding" or equipping it out with mud riding equipment (snorkle, +30" tires, etc). I do hunt in the swamps and expect a bike to perform and most importantly be durable. Throw some info at me!
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Re: Pioneer vs Viking

Postby GulfCoast » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:28 am

Do a search on this site. I have posted a few times about my Pioneer in response to questions. Outside of the "mud riding on the weekend" circuit, I doubt many folks have had one in more mud and water than me. Drive one before you buy it, to see if you like the way the tranny is geared and the engine braking. And measure your garage, as the roll bar is really high. Most of the "reviews" on the net on the Pioneer are written by folks that don't own one, and have a Jones about going faster than their buddies. Watch, as soon as I post this, someone will put up a post right behind me that says "I know this one dude....." :wink: The Pioneer is so chitty, they can't keep 'em in stock. :lol: I have been happy as a clam with mine. I don't know anything about the Viking, I sure its a good "belt drive" product.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:41 pm

My dad just bought a pioneer last month and I really like it so far. I've only driven it 4 times for a total of about 1.5 hours but I have been in the swamp and some plowed bean fields after a 3" rain. I'm really impressed so far! It will run 45 mph which is plenty for me. The handling is good and responsive, the acceleration is quick, and it seems to have plenty of power. Obviously I cant speak to the durability yet but I feel really good about the shaft drive. I've seen way too many belts slip on other utvs.

One important aspect is the price. The pioneer is priced similar to the polaris 500 class utvs but it's way way more vehicle. I told someone recently, if honda had made the pioneer 10-15 yrs ago, polaris would be broke instead of dominating the market.

Pm me if you have any specific questions and I will try to help you out.
Yazoo Duckman
Veteran

Postby Yazoo Duckman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 am

I love my viking. I've had it one duck season and ran it hard in bean fields and milo fields. Didn't think about getting stuck. Plenty of power and LOTS of room. As far as the belt drive goes, yamaha has had the same set up for a long time and has the best reputation for them. I have only had a belt slip once on my old Kodiak. Casing was full of water. Probably because I was crossing a bean field that was deeper than what I should've been in. Pulled the drain plug and let the water out and was as good as new. The viking is pretty much a beefed up bigger rhino. Everyone knows how bulletproof those are. I looked at the pioneer and just wasn't impressed with how much smaller it was than the viking.

My only complaint with the viking is it is loud. But if I wanted a quiet ride I would get a golf cart.
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 am

well Honda and Yamaha are both built tough and for the long haul. every Honda ive ever had has been bullet proof. I have a rhino now and its the second one Ive owned. Keep oil in it and good brakes and that's all you have to do. literally bullet proof. Now they may not have 1000 ccs and be the fastest most powerful but you wont have to worry about them being the shop all the time. I wouldn't own a Polaris if I won it. Literally wouldn't park one in my yard. Now lots of guys have good luck with Polaris but not me. I had horror stories from both of the lemons I owned and both were rangers. I would go with the Viking between the two but either would be good bike. I have had my rhino is some awful awful mud and rice fields, sloughs etc without a hiccup. the Viking is a bigger more powerful rhino so that would be my choice. in fact as soon as the Viking 6 comes out this fall I am going to own one. I am about to get on the waiting list. Again the 700 is not as powerful or as fast as the Polaris and can am etc but it is a proven dependable reliable engine and it has had enough power to do anything I have asked it to do. hope this helps.
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:19 am

Don't own either one, never riden the yamaha but I will say the shaft drive is better than a belt in my opinion.
The Honda went through this twice when this ranger got stuck due to wet belt. (Backwater off the MS river below Natchez)
Attachments
IMG_1138.JPG
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 am

I am going to probably get the Pioneer 700-4. I haven't driven one yet. but plan to as soon as they become more plentiful.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Like I have said, I have no experience with the Viking. But the Pioneer has so far done something my Polaris POS never did: Crank. Every time. On one bump.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy

Return to “General Discussion Forum”