Leupold vs Vortex vs Nightforce

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Greenhead329
Veteran

Leupold vs Vortex vs Nightforce

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Im getting a much needed scope for my varmint rifle within the week. Looking at one of the above 3. Rifle will be stretched out to 300 yds on coyotes.
We have always used Leupold in the past but I really like my vortex binoculars and was considering a swap

Any recommendations. Scope will be in the 3.5-10x range with a 33-40mm obj
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Re: Leupold vs Vortex vs Nightforce

Postby Wildfowler » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm

I have had my eye on the new compact night force in the size you listed with the new hunting reticle. "IHL". Planning on using it for the very same purpose. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Not sure if the other two offer night vision compatible illuminated reticle? I like that feature.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
ShiftZ
Regular

Postby ShiftZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Vortex hands down. The glass in Vortex and Nightforce are the same. Don't just pay for a name.

Take a look at the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44. This is what I am putting on my rifle for shooting out to 600 yards
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 pm

Nightforce IMO is just too heavy for most applications. They are great scopes tough and durable, not my favorite glass though, but very good.

Vortex... Good scope I am not convinced they are top of the line yet. Another nice product, out of the three you listed would be my choice.

However if it were me for night shooting I would get an illuminated Swarovski scope. I shoot out to 2200 yards with mine no problems, and also am able to shoot in the moon light at pigs easily. I think their glass is tough to beat until you start getting into Kahles and Schmidt and Bender.
duramax
Duck South Addict

Postby duramax » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 pm

To throw a wrench into your question, look at a 4-12x44 Burris Fullfield II. You can score these new on Ebay for close to $250 when in stores they go for over $300 (plus tax). The 3-9x40 you can find for less than $200 on eBay sometimes. I had the 3-9x40 Landmark with ballistic plex on my AR before I sold it, and bought another for my brother's .270. I have the 4-12x44 also with ballistic plex on my .308. Can't beat them for the price. I have a VX-1 Leupold on my .223 and I really like it, but the Burris is brighter. Can't speak for the Vortex, but I've heard it's okay. But trust me and go to a store and look thru a Burris if you are spending less than $300. The Nightforce scopes are awesome, but they are at least 3x more expensive. In the Swarovski range. My rating is Burris Fullfield under $300, Zeiss around $600, and then above that, there's not too many you can go wrong with, but Swarovski would definitely be a front runner close to the $1k mark.
Support the Fair Tax!

"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:34 pm

The nightforce atacr is a bad ass scope. BEAST is probably better but I've never seen one in person. Shooting only out to 300 a leupy or vortex is probably all you need. Swaro has some if not the best glass out there.

Don't let anyone lie to you. Scopes like most everything else are "you get what you pay for". Don't believe the $300 dollar scope that is the same as the $1800 scope. I'm not saying the $300 scope is awful. Just not the Same
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:28 pm

bought a nightforce benchrest 8x32x56 3 years ago and haven't regretted it one single bit. I am 10000% pleased with it. Id buy another one if I was in the market. The new one that they have out from NF that is in the $1000 range seems to be a good buy.

Heres why I chose NF. My final 2 after months of research were the NF and Leupold Mark IV. I like the 56 mm and I like the reticle that NF offers much better than mil dot. I have the NPR2 reticle and it is much more user friendly in my opinion. Vortex would be a nice one too but In my opinion from my research the only thing on the market that is superior if any at all is Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski.... Hope this helps
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner

Return to “General Discussion Forum”