Normandy, France

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
adame
Duck South Addict

Normandy, France

Postby adame » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Hey all, has anyone every been? The wife and I are leaving later this afternoon to head that way, any tips? I am really excited, I have always been extremely fond of WW2 European campaign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kb7722
Veteran

Re: Normandy, France

Postby kb7722 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:58 am

My friend just got back from there this weekend. He said they usually have 2 million visitors a year, but they are expecting 2 million for the 70th anniversary coming up.
judge jb
Duck South Addict

Postby judge jb » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:47 am

my dad was there D-Day. wounded on Omaha beach.

judge jb
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:52 am

And my grandfather was there. The only man from his platoon to survive the beach crossing.

There aren't any other places in Europe that I feel like I have to see for myself, but I hope to visit Normandy someday too.

Shed a tear there for me.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:33 am

Wife and I took a ferry from Portsmouth England and landed in LeHavre, then on to Etretat and stayed a few days and played golf (www.golfetretat.com) then we went to Fecamp before heading to Paris on the train. Normandy was really nice, people were friendly beer was good. We didn't get to make it to the WWII stuff. We started to go there and got about half way and the damn cab ride was already at about $250!! So I told him to turn around and take us back...ended up being a $500 sightseeing trip in a damn cab..I am ashamed to say, "He got me on that one". We coudl have taken a bus trip but we woudl have been on their schedule and all that jazz, at the time we thoguth no..but looking back wish we had at least gone to see it one way or another.....

Return to “General Discussion Forum”