First offshore fishing trip

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

First offshore fishing trip

Postby landscaper » Tue May 20, 2014 1:20 pm

I'm pretty pumped about my first offshore fishing trip this weekend. It sounds like we'll be leaving the dock in the wee hours of the morning to sail to/past the continental shelf. Also sounds like mostly trolling. I have no idea what to expect about any part of it. What's the low down?
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Re: First offshore fishing trip

Postby GrizwalD » Tue May 20, 2014 3:23 pm

COON HUNTER
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Dont think its cool to stay up a little late the night before around the grill and get a little skint up....you'll regret it. Oh, and pre-hydrate the day before if youve never been out there.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Tue May 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Never have had any motion sickness issues but I plan to take precautions anyway and I was assuming prehydrating was a good idea. What should we expect to catch troing that far out? What will the temps be like before and after daylight?
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Tue May 20, 2014 4:19 pm

If fishing for marlin or yellow fin tuna...be polite and let the other fishermen reel them in!
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Tue May 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Listen to what the boat hands tell ya...stay hydrated...wear sunscreen on every exposed inch and light soled shoes...have fun :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
cupnglide
Veteran

Postby cupnglide » Tue May 20, 2014 8:15 pm

You might ask your doctor for a scopolamine transdermal patch. It will reduce your chances of seasickness. It doesn't cause drowsiness as bad as other options.
Never assume.
redneck22ms
Veteran

Postby redneck22ms » Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 pm

as everyone else said. stay hydrated and use sunscreen. i'd also suggest taking bonine before you leave. it will help with seasickness but won't make you drowsy like dramamine. even if you normally don't get seasick i'd recommend taking it as chumming nonstop on a 3 hour boat ride is no fun. have fun. if you get on a big fish and wear a belt and harness try and keep them all as low as possible. your back will thank you. i like a belt that you can get down on the mid thigh and a simple strap style harness that i put right at the top of my butt/lower back. that way your legs are doing most of the work and not your lower back. have fun and take lots of pics. my week long trip can't get here soon enough.
shoot them in the face they may be wearing body armor lol
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue May 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Take a pair of light long pants and long sleeve shirt. The ride out and in, especially if a little sunburnt, can be cool.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 pm

If you have thin hair get wear a hat that will block the sun, have good sunglasses and some croakies that will float. If y'all are trolling you must be targeting wahoo, tuna, or maybe some mahi mahi.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Wed May 21, 2014 7:01 am

Listen to the deck hands and do exactly what they tell you. They do that stuff almost every day and know how to catch and handle the fish. Be sure to take some sort of snack or some sandwiches with you. The chum belly seems to be worse if you have an empty stomach. Keep your eyes on the forward horizon if you start feeling a little woozy and DO NOT go in the cabin for very long!!! That is the most miserable spot on the boat if you get sick! Don't wear any clothes or shoes that you don't want to get stained up. When they gaff a fish and drag it in blood will be going everywhere. If you get in a long fight don't be too proud to let someone else fight it a little while. We fought a shark for 4 hours last summer and it about whipped 4 men.
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed May 21, 2014 7:26 am

teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:40 am

I never had a motion sickness issue until my first off shore trip. Now, I always take a Dramamine the night before, and one the morning of, just for good measure.
Like DDM said, a long sleeve light shirt is a good thing. The Columbia fishing shirts are a good choice here. And though I wont wear them anywhere else outside the house / yard, crocks are great boat shoes.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
MudHog
Duck South Sponsor

Postby MudHog » Wed May 21, 2014 8:01 am

Sounds like a good trip planned and don't forget the cameras (video and still). Where you guys going out of? Everything mentioned is about everything you need to know. Long as you don't get sick, you will love. Just don't come back home wanting an offshore boat. It's cheaper to just charter one than own one. :)
"I hear they are developing a new fighter specially for fighting in the middle east. It's called the F-U!" - crow, Aug. 2008

Member FLHC

Lane Romero
landscaper
Duck South Addict

Postby landscaper » Wed May 21, 2014 9:05 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”