No wonder the US is headed for trouble.

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Seymore
Duck South Addict

No wonder the US is headed for trouble.

Postby Seymore » Sat May 10, 2014 11:45 am

My 16 year old asked me while taking her somewhere today what the whole Pearl Harbor thing was about. I thought she was messing with me and asked what they learned during American History when she was in junior high. She said they learned about "progressive vs. conservative" and the whole civil rights deal. I explained what I could during the limited time I had her in the truck. If she's telling me the truth then it's a really sad example of where this country is going. I'm still not completely sure she's not messing with me.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
wildturkey
Regular

Re: No wonder the US is headed for trouble.

Postby wildturkey » Sat May 10, 2014 1:37 pm

This will only get worse with common core. They are making math so complicated now kids will not be able to figure out how bad the goverment is screwing them when they start paying taxes.
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
Winston Churchill
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:28 am

There was a big write up in our paper about a student in our state boycotting the common core standardized curriculum and tests etc...and was suspended for some bs made up reason
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Sun May 11, 2014 5:32 am

I had a lengthy discussion about No Child Left Behind and Common Core yesterday afternoon with someone in the know on these topics. It just sounds hopeless for these kids and in turn the future of this country. I can't decide whose fault it is...parents or federal govt. I'm going with 100% blame on both.
USA Back to Back World War Champs
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 am

My daughter is 12 and will be going into 7th grade next year and does not know how to write in cursive. Apparently they don't teach that anymore since everything is online. That just blew my mind these kids won't even know how to sign their names.
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Wed May 14, 2014 10:04 am

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 am

My wife is a teacher and I hear it everyday how hard it is for them to do a good job..I know there are good and bad teachers, but I really think their hands are tied by the administration and they are caught in the middle.. Parent's can't believe that their kids aren't learning certain things like cursive writing and complain about it, and the administration only cares about teaching for the tests.. Teachers get stuck in the middle.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Peewee
rebelduckaholic
Duck South Addict

Postby rebelduckaholic » Sat May 17, 2014 4:52 pm

I hate cc. Nothing good to say about it. I have a four degree basically a math degree and I can not for the life of me figure it out to help my daughter in the fifth grade. Several arguments between me and her and the only way I was able to prove something is we did a simple 3 digit multiplication problem started at same time and the old way took a quarter of the time. She was lost with my way I was lost with her way and the calculator proved the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work is for a man who can't fish
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Sun May 18, 2014 10:29 am

USA Back to Back World War Champs
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Mon May 19, 2014 4:45 pm

You guys know me well enough by now to know I ain't scared of controversy, sooooooo...Based on your own reading and study of Common Core, and not from some politician telling you what Common Core is, what is your specific objection to it?
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 am

Peewee
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue May 20, 2014 7:45 am

Talked to my wife (who is a teacher) the other night about cc. She likes it and says that there is too much politicizing of it. For example we talked about a math problem.

We all know the answer is 20. In the past we learned to substract 2 from 2 to get 0, then 1 from 3 to get two. Also we learned borrow and carry numbers in additions and subtraction. CC teaches kids to take 10 away from 32 to get 22, then take another 2 away from 22 to get to 20. A leads to B, B leads to C. Most of us would do this method in our head, so she said CC is trying to teach the way we as adults really process numbers instead of teach the old steps.

I said that works great, except when you have large numbers like 7,872 - 1,921. They will need to know the steps to complete that problem. She said, true with the way technology is expanding that calculators are there for that.. I see both sides of the issue.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 am

I don't have a kid in school yet but I don't see why they need to change the way to learn how to do math.....was the old way not good enough? We all learned it that way adn all the Dr. and Engineers and foresters and everybody that has preceeded us learned it the way we did..was that not good enough. And the way I learned it I don't need a calculator to do the large numbers like CWink said.. Do I use a calculator, of course, but only after I learned how to do it without one....thats kinda along the same lines of thinking that we don't need to teach spelling cause we have spell check... or the cursive thing cause we type most all the time now....well if you can't read cursive you can't read the Declaration of Independence or Bill of Rights etc... Another issue I would have as a parent is the fact that they decided what was going to be taught to your child wihtout your input at all..you have to send your child to school yet you have no involvement in what they teach your kid while they are there.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm

And in 30 years, these will be the leaders of our country!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”