Checking in with the gang

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Checking in with the gang

Postby MSDuckmen » Fri May 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Hello MSDuckers

Just wanted to check in and see how all my old friends were holding up in this new world Obama has created for us. I truly hope everyone is doing well and life hasn’t dragged you down the gravel road of despair.
MsDuckmen is still kicking and trying to stay afloat with all the projects that continue to fill my bucket of life. Leaving the lake house the other day I drove down past the old 1:30 hole and was amazed at how much it has changed over the years. All those great morning hunts and the memories that will forever bring me peace.
The 1:30 gang doesn’t exist anymore and I rarely see the men that I duck hunted with for over forty years. I was smart enough to have kept a journal to relive those cold morning and remind me of the small things that happen that memory tends to lose. I still live those moments from time to time when the right smell or sound brings those decades of duck hunting back to me. Like the smell of marsh mud or a wet dog in the boat. Sometimes it is as simple as the sound of a lone wood duck that triggers those long ago memories.
I’m now at retirement age and dealing with a deer camp, and instead of four of us it is 20. Deer camps and duck camps are not the same to me but both offer me the ability to stay in the wild. I still love the feel of a primitive camp where you feel the chill and have a way to distance yourself from the everyday luxuries that life offers us daily now. I miss the men of my past that came and left me too soon. Mr. Thompson, Mr. Carr, Mr. Phillips. All great people that showed me what a person could do to change the lives of others. I was honored to be a man among men. I felt alive and will always try to live up to their expectations.

Growing old really sucks and I’m absolutely dumfounded at how little I can do today verses what I did just 20 years ago. I planted my last trees on public property this year as I’m just not able to do it anymore. Looking over my records dating back to 2000 I have managed to plant around 12000 trees in my life time on public land. I bought 34 acres of land for fun and something to keep me busy and as of this year I have planted nearly 1000 trees on it and my nursery has another 300 growing for next year. That will be the last mass planting I will do. I think I have done enough.

This past month I signed into a partnership with a local Gun shop and will be devoting my off season time to it. Come by and see me in Ridgeland the name of the shop is Frago arms. We build AR’s and 1911’s. We also have a full gunsmith shop for those needing that service.

I miss hearing from you boys and hope to spend a bit more time reading your post seems like it has been forever since I posted anything here. Maybe it’s time for the old Msduckmen to come home.

Better tomorrow.
chopper30
Duck South Addict

Re: Checking in with the gang

Postby chopper30 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Good to hear from you Dan!
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks for helping set my mind right for the weekend!
Deadeye
Duck South Addict

Postby Deadeye » Fri May 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Yep, good to hear from you Dan, I hope father time continues to grace you!
I'd still like another crack at a dove with your black powder shotgun.

Take care,
Deadeye
I ain't a veternarian, but I know a horses booty when I see one!
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Great to see you on here Dan. I'll have to come by and chat some time.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Fri May 09, 2014 3:36 pm

I work in that same area. I'll make it a point to look you up.
Nobody owes you anything.
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Fri May 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Where is the shop?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
mallardchaser
Duck South Addict

Postby mallardchaser » Fri May 09, 2014 5:55 pm

I know a guy who hunted near the 130 hole 2 years ago, opening day(I think.) He said there was a large group of younger fellas in it. There were ducks all over it. They wouldn't let em work in and skybusted. He got so fed up he left. He said, had it been he and his buddy, it would've been over in 10 minutes or less. He's a 40 year hunter as well.

I wonder how they "race" in now since you can't leave the levee til 4?

Good to see ya post.
tgran00
Regular

Postby tgran00 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Awesome post.....Thanks MS Duckmen
khines2
Regular

Postby khines2 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 am

I have taken a few guns to Frago a few times and bought my favorite pistol from them. They do really good work and are good people.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Sat May 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Hey Dan... sometimes you never realize you've put a face with a name ..... This is Kirk Anthony the which is the accountant for Frago Arms. We met for the first time this past week. Even weirder due to my buddy buying your camper the other week. What a small world.
COON HUNTER
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Sun May 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Good to hear from you,

Is that bushog still running?
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Great to see you post! You know what they say "be here or be a topic".

Frago Arms - Now I got an even better reason to check 'em out.

Don't be stranger.
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
tombstone
Duck South Addict

Postby tombstone » Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 am

good to see you alive and kicking. Stop in more often
There will be a day....
MSDuckmen
Duck South Addict

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am

Return to “General Discussion Forum”