Graveline Bayou

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
CBrown
Veteran

Graveline Bayou

Postby CBrown » Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 am

Got a question for you coast guys.

I got a family trip coming up at the end of May and we will be staying in OS real close to Graveline Bayou. I have never fished it before but have fished the marsh just north of Gautier (Big Lake area) and have had some success in the past using a sparkle beetle tipped with shrimp. Just wondering if Graveline is alot like that area and is the end of May a good time for Specks, Reds and Flounder? Any advice for Graveline is much appreciated. Thanks
southernfire97
Veteran

Re: Graveline Bayou

Postby southernfire97 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 am

Yea there is good fishing in graveline this time of year. We have been dealing with a ton of fresh water coming down the river lately. There are still fish to be found though. We have been doing good on vudu shrimp and of course live bait. Heads up if your planning on fishing around the shipyard, the navy has taken control of one of the ships in the water and they will not let you get close to it. They have our favorite red fish hole blocked off...
CUT EM BOYS!!!
redneck22ms
Veteran

Postby redneck22ms » Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

graveline can be pretty good at times. there are very few tributaries that empty into graveline so it cleans up alot faster than most others after a rain. fish it like any other marsh. find points or structure that will hold fish and give it hell.
shoot them in the face they may be wearing body armor lol
Goose
Veteran

Postby Goose » Mon May 12, 2014 4:01 pm

I replaced that long bridge on, I believe it was Fountainblue Rd, back in 2003 as a mitigation project for the Mississippi Port in Gulfport. The theory was two-fold: Remove the old roadway at elevation 3.0' msl and replace with a bridge at elevation 13.o' msl in order to #1 open up the marsh and allow water to flow naturally north of the roadway, and #2 to give better ingress & egress during hurricanes.

Just wondering how that is working out; i.e., has the marsh healed itself north of the bridge in the 11 years since we built the bridge?

Good luck with the fishing.
southernfire97
Veteran

Postby southernfire97 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Marsh looks good in there. You can't access any of that unless your in a kayak or airboat though. Way too shallow on that end. Looks good though. Pretty much all grass now.
CUT EM BOYS!!!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”