Turning off the cable tv

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Turning off the cable tv

Postby deltadukman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:45 pm

Anyone here done it? I feel like its something I need to do. Not financially, but rather for productivness and not contributing to being lazy. Thoughts?
kb7722
Veteran

Re: Turning off the cable tv

Postby kb7722 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 pm

I was finding less and less worth watching, the bill was always increasing, and there were things I thought my time could be better spent doing. So, I talked about turning off cable for about six months, but there was always some reason. There was always that one show or football season was about to start, etc. I ended up moving and did not bother sign up for cable after the move. I got an antenna to watch the local stations and my wife subscribed to netflix. I have not had cable since last May and have really not missed it. I will travel to relatives and sit down and flip through the channels and nothing has changed. I still can't find much worth watching.
Blake Williamson
Duck South Addict
Location: Probably on the Pearl River setting at the cabin with a beer in hand with Ol'Jake beside me.

Postby Blake Williamson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:02 pm

If my wife would let me that chit would've been done gone.......
Last edited by Blake Williamson on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
DanP
Duck South Addict

Postby DanP » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:07 pm

The only reason I still have TV is the kids, and that's just for cartoons in the morning. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a TV show. Definitely increase in productivity, 99% of the crap on TV is a complete waste of intellectual capacity IMO.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Lived the first 1.5 years of marriage without it. Got Direct when we moved back to MS. Saw a huge drop in time spent together, doing work, and just being productive overall. Cancelled it 1.5 yrs later and paid a penalty to get it gone. That was 4 years ago, and I haven't missed it once.

There are ways to watch college football on the internet and that can be streamed to the TV, and usually CBS has the game I want to see broadcast over the antennae anyways.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Just turned ours off today. Moved strictly to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime for video stuff. My little man will miss Mickey Mouse, Jake and the Pirates, and Doc McStuffins in the mornings but he will live. I just put on a Blu-Ray in the mornings now and he is fine. We started weening ourselves off of it a month ago. Like he said above productivity is way up. Bill only increased and so did the time wasted looking for something to watch. No more staying up too late watching crap on tv. Get a solid hour or two of work done every night when it gets quiet. Overall I feel like it won't be missed much.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm

I just went and turned my stuff in. After asking around, not one person who has turned theirs off regrets it. There were probably 3 other people in there doing the same thing.
skywalker
Duck South Addict

Postby skywalker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm

We are down to the lowest package, approx $35/month and yes the productivity has increased. With all that is available on the web, doesnt make much sense to keep it all........my next step is antennae only.
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I dropped off my equipment today too. Everyone in front of me got reminded that their promo period was about to expire and they needed to re-up on the new promo that was only $10-15 more a month. It's all a racket.
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

USA Back to Back World War Champs
eSJay
Duck South Addict

Postby eSJay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:19 pm

y'all need to turn off dat phasebook
"Sir, I never take a chance when shooting waterfowl...
I believe in hitting him very hard with big shot from a big gun....."

-Nash Buckingham
blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 pm

I have it for my fiancé but that's about it. Watch it maybe 20 minutes just before bed and that's about it, except for football season. I work in the garage or in the yard till dark almost every evening doing something or drinking a cold beer thinking of the next project. TV blows for the most part
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
gps4
Veteran

Postby gps4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:19 pm

Cancelled directv in January and haven't missed it a bit. We do antenna, hulu, Netflix and amazon prime. My kids can navigate the roku and can remotely access it on their iPods or iPads. our monthly streaming bill is about $25 as opposed to $100 a month for directv
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Guy from England loved soccer and showed me this site...I watch any sporting event in the world on my laptop. As long as I have wifi I can watch all of States games no matter where I am. Also good for watching the UFC fights

http://www.vipboxus.co/
A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”