Turning off the cable tv

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
southdeltan
Veteran

Re: Turning off the cable tv

Postby southdeltan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I just read that the FCC is about to reverse their stance on Net Neutrality - which will allow providers to charge people different rates. If this is true, look for Netflix, Hulu, etc - to go up big time. Whoever owns the network (at&t, google, etc) will be able to charge people more for higher/faster bandwith.

This is a bad thing for consumers. I suppose it's good if you have stock in companies with telecommunications infrastructure.
country_20boy
Veteran

Postby country_20boy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Cut ours off in February. Haven't missed it yet but I'm sure I will during football season. We may get it back, but at least I'm going back as a new customer and getting cut rate for a year. We will discuss that in August.

We lived without for almost 5 yrs when we first got married.

I really miss the dvr more than the 200 channels I didn't watch. What are my options for a dvr?
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 am

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:57 am

Don't watch much TV other than the news, which is mostly on during the day for background noise (but I could get by with a radio for that). If I could convince my wife to get rid of it.. I would.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 am

I was thinking of having mine cut off, but penalty fee would be more than dropping to 35 a month and paying out contract. I will say I don't watch it much....I miss most of my "shows" because I don't have DVR and my work schedule was ridiculous so really wasn't getting the benefit anyhow ....

but now that I am laid up for a month, and for at least these first two weeks where I cant do anything but sleep, shower and piss...Im glad I have 200 channels of nothing on.

As soon as I can recover enough to be outside, and start carving again...I will be
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

booger
Veteran

Postby booger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 pm

The wife and I were just discussing this after the Dish bill arrived. I mentioned we have about 180 shows (and growing) on the DVR that I'll never watch, nor will she. When do we read books anymore?

No streaming broadband for us, just satellite internet which is so-so. Forget HULU etc.

I'm awfully lazy, so I don't feel like getting a digital converter box and an antenna then working out the wiring issues, or a new digital TV instead, and working out those wiring issues, HDMI etc. Which somewhat defeats the purpose of pulling the plug. :oops:

ARRGGHHHHHH
Them ducks is wary. We now resume our regularly scheduled forum melee in progress.
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 am

I just have the lowest package and i rarely just sit in front of the TV im always in the garage or outside doing something. Like someone said previously putting down TV is about 10% of most peoples problem putting down all the social media BS is the other 90
COON HUNTER
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:10 pm

I watch several shows on tv pretty regular - game of thrones, true detective, walking dead, hell on wheels, etc. We watch at least one show before we go to bed. I personally love tv, but I don't do "social media" at all. I quit Facebook 3 years ago and found about 3 hours were added to my day. My tv time ain't taking up most of my day because I rarely am in front of the tv, but I enjoy it when I do watch it. I think if you tracked tv time vs social media time, you would find out real quick where your time is really wasted. :wink:
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:57 pm

peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:02 pm

Peewee
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Postby Chuckle12 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Trust me, I could care less about people knocking me for watching tv. There are plenty of things for people to knock me for... TV is pretty low on the list. :lol:
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP

Return to “General Discussion Forum”