Just a slightly deeper than norm ?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Just a slightly deeper than norm ?

Postby missed mallards » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

I’d hate to count the number of hours I’ve spent in the woods this spring. Many days, I’ve woke hours before the crack of day, and spent every day light hour merely in search. I’ve walked some of the prettiest hardwood forest in the state of MS. I’ve sloshed down creeks for miles, seen wildlife in numbers I couldn’t fathom, but all efforts yielded the same results, an empty bag. It was Saturday around 4:45 that evening when I just sat down on the side of the hill. It had taken some 15 minutes to top it, and as I glanced over the valley underneath my mind began to question everything.

When you run into a wall, what’s your next move?

It was odd, I guess. I took out March 15 with a goal to bag a gobbler, solo. I wasn’t relying on friends, family, or anything else. I made that a goal. I went to various tracts of National Forest, strapped on my boots, and have failed miserably at it. I’ve gotten tired of trying something and not accomplishing it. I’ve spent time, money, and much effort, and have yet to do anything, in reality. I’m exactly where I started.

That made me really think about my life. I’ve been fairly content with my career. There are aspects I love, aspects I hate, but at the end of the week my bills are covered and a few coins are left to enjoy life with. I’m not going anywhere with it though. In regards to life, and it being a series of terraces and a mountain, I’ve found that instead of pushing myself toward the next level, I’ve just wondered around on the current level.

Question is. IS that just life? Do you find a place that’s content and just quit working up?
Anyone ever just jump up and completely change their route?

Sad part, it’s much like turkey hunting at this time. I’ve come to grasp I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m reading and trying to gain as much knowledge about turkeys as possible. BUT, nothing I read/do at home makes me a better hunter in the field. I don’t want that to be my life and get stuck with questions that I can’t answer. Or, find myself wondering around the woods with sadly, no clue.

Anyone ever just slammed the end of the wall? What’s your story? What did you do differently? What was your next step up? Go back to tradeschool? College? Find a "Grandfather" and be his right hand man? Curiosity, simply.

Did you find happiness and contentment when you stopped moving up? Or not even moving up, just where you're at?

I know there’s no direct path, I’m living, and life ain’t that easy. Just kind of got in a spot that’s made me question a few things and many of ya’ll have commented on past questions so I figured I’d ask.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Re: Just a slightly deeper than norm ?

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Congratulations. You are growing up.

Every man, regardless of who he is or what he does in life will hit that wall you speak of. There will be times when your passion for whatever it is you think you are supposed to be doing leaves you. You will wonder "Is this all there is to life?" And the questions "What now?" becomes pretty d@mn big to you.

The question isn't "What happens if you hit the wall?" The question is "What do you do WHEN you hit that wall?" You will hit that wall. And here's the real kicker. You will hit it several times over your lifetime. Sometimes you will hit it harder than at other times.

When you hit that wall, take stock in yourself. Take a good hard look at all of the different roles you have in your life. There are many. Step back and ask yourself "Where am I?" and ask it about each of these roles. Then ask yourself for each of these roles, "Where do I really want to be?" Then develop a plan to get from where you are now to where you want to be - in each of these roles. AND WRITE THEM DOWN! This is not easy. It will take time, effort, and it will require you being honest with yourself.

Somewhere in this process, you will learn a lot more about yourself. You will find that you aren't as lost as you might think right now. You might discover a new passion, or reignite an older one. You might decide that you need to start completely over, and find a way to do that very thing. Or, you might just find complete contentment.

The fact is that you have asked some very deep questions here. And there aren't any short and quick answers to any of it. You've said that you don't know what you are doing. Well, there are a lot of people who haven't learned that yet, so you are ahead of the game.

You asked what we did about our own walls. Well, that is one example of mine that works. Others on here will tell you to keep your Bible read and prayers said. That is a given because it works too.

Good luck in your quest. Remember that you are not alone and that we are praying for you.
Nobody owes you anything.
craziehunter18
Veteran

Postby craziehunter18 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:29 am

Others on here will tell you to keep your Bible read and prayers said. That is a given because it works too.

Good luck in your quest. Remember that you are not alone and that we are praying for you.[/quote]

^^ +10000 ^^
Evin

[size=150]TEAM ADVOCARE[/size]

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. -1Thessalonians 5:16-17
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am

Heck, I'm right there with you, Mallard....I haven't killed a turkey in several years....maybe it's karma or just bad luck.

Just got back from a hunt in Bama, on a friend's private property, and the place was rank with turkeys....rained 7 inches, two days before the hunt, and birds were stacked on the ridges....problem was, roads were under water, and we couldn't get to them.

Finally, on the last day, I call in a stray gobbler....was waiting for him to walk from behind an oak tree, for a clear shot, when something caught my attention outta the corner of my eye.

A kid and his dad come walking down the logging road, and busted my hunt....they were kinfolks of the landowner, and the kid had gotten sick.

If they had come by 30 seconds later, I woulda had my gobbler....now, THAT'S bad luck, karma, or whatever you wanna call it....probably the Blood Moon !!! :lol:
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:48 am

MM,

We all hit walls, it may be a personal wall, a career wall, or a family wall. I have hit many walls in my past, and most times I would just catch my breath and climb it. I was always the type of person that wouldn't stop until I completed my task. When I climbed that wall I would look for another wall to climb just to see if I could do it. Every time I got to the top I would look back down at those still sitting at the bottom of the wall and say man look at those people down there, they have no drive, no ambition, no sense of accomplishment. The more walls I climbed the more I looked down on those people and realized, here I am working myself to death, while those at the bottom of the hill seem to be really enjoying life down there. They paid their bills, enjoyed their work, had time for their family and hobbies and still had a little left over funds for fun Maybe climbing walls isn't all that great after all??

When I lost my Dad to Cirrhosis in Dec 2006, My Son to Trisomy 13 in Jun 2008 and my Uncle (who was a 2nd Father to me) to suicide in Sept 2009 I found a wall I could not climb. It seemed like every time I was almost there I got knocked down again. I finally realized that I couldn't climb that wall, I had to go around it.. The only way around it was to keep walking by faith and immerse myself things that took my mind off it.

Go getters will often look back on life and say, I wish I had slowed down some. Those that glide through life often say they wish they had done more. Climbing just for the sake of climbing is not good, and gliding just because you are too tired or scared is not good either

The truth is, sometimes walls are worth climbing, sometimes they are not, and sometimes you have to realized that you can't climb them at all and simply have to walk around them. You have to look at each wall and try and determine what you will get out of climbing it, is it really important in your life and what are you giving up to climb the wall. That is a sign of a mature person that will likely look back on their life with no regrets..

Oh, by the way.. I am still working on becoming that mature person....
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the different perspectives gents.

I figured I'd get something back to ponder.
the tree
Veteran

Postby the tree » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 pm

Lately, Ive hit a bad trend where I begin to believe "things cant get any worse" just before the get worse. Kinda like standing at the top of a really tall ladder, questioning the stability, cleaning gutters and locating the wasp nest. My thoughts for you, enjoy the boredom while it last. I suspect your headed towards some kind of activity that will captivate your thoughts.

My 2 cents.
the doctor
Duck South Addict

Postby the doctor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:45 pm

When I hit a wall, I tear the mutha fudder down.

You think too much. Just be yourself. Aint but one you.

the doc
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:27 pm

I understand where you're coming from....My wall has been work

I busted my ass for years in school working towards my "dream" career...had several health set-backs in school..set me back a year

My first dream job turned into a nightmare..literally..due to a paperwork error I almost wound up in prison 2 months after graduating, only to wind up flat broke and moving back home within 6 months with an extra 6k in debt....

The second job I took has wound up being alot like the first.except no prison lol......but worse time wise... only upside I can at least pay my bills....I don't have any spare money but I'm getting by.(thought I would have some here shortly but no)..I work twice as much and didn't think that was even possible, and boss expects me to work even more...told him flat out last week not possible...he hasn't been into work since.and now finding another job isnt an option...90-100 hrs a week has taken its toll...been working through a slipped disc and tomorrow I find out if I have to have surgery...

keep your head up...and just take it one step a time...some people have worse than you think or they let on....such as CWINK...and just remember it could ALWAYS be worse
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:39 pm

"The Doc", I'm being me. If there wasn't questions to think on and try to analyze a remedy, I'd of gone plum crazy. I love the challenges of figuring out problems or more importantly, fixing the problems. If there isn't a problem, I like to better advance myself and understand a more sensible way of doing something. I like to accomplish and go. Life isn't exactly like that.

I'll admit, I'm in a great position currently. Honestly, I'm living my "Dream". I hope there ain't no prison in my future though. I've gotten comfortable at the time (scares the chit out of me) and that's what has brought up the questions. Right now, I'm OKAY with where I'm at. I've never been one to settle and well I want more. Just one of them things I guess, it's a challenge that I'm in deep thought about.

I had a wise man once say, Patience is a virtue. I guess I need to reread/rethink that and be at ease. It seems as though life as I know it is ticking along.

Thanks again

"The Tree" you're correct. I'm about to be so busy thinking is out. Just preparing myself I guess and airing out before "L" hits.

Greanhead: I've been broke/hated my job. Not fun but worked my way out of it with some luck/prayer/ and a lot of folks help. It'll all fall into place.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
rjohnson
Duck South Addict

Postby rjohnson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 am

In life I strongly believe if you are not improving yourself in some way every single day you are wasting your days. I feel like it's human nature to always want to improve. I find if I have too much slack time negative thoughts creep in my mind. Staying busy always trying to get better at something keeps me positive.
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 am

It took me six years and 60 plus missses to finally kill a gobbler with my homemade recurve. Through all said and done...it was MY quest. MY goal... several times i wanted to wrap that osage riser across a hickory tree and walk off after failure.....well after a couple grand and royal bow slams, i look back to those years in the 90's as my foundation years of what i wanted out take out of hunting. Those countless failures molded me to have even more respect for the animal and not the kill...it's the process,preparation and execution of the hunt for me....not a dead warm animal...............i am like others but not like most...Hunting is not a race...start walking again......so much more enjoyable.
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
crow
Duck South Addict

Postby crow » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm

See, this girl, Alice, came to a fork in the road. There was this rabbit sitting by the road, and Alice asked the rabbit, "Do you know these roads well?" The rabbit said, "I've lived around here all my life," Alice then asked, "Which way should I go?" The rabbit then asked her, "Well, where are you going?" Alice, who was lost, replied, "I'm not sure." Mr. Rabbit smiled wisely and said, "In that case, either one will do."

Moral of the story...Think, study, pray, network, visit the local guru...but, come to some decision about your direction (turkey hunting or career). One you know a direction or plan, commit yourself to it...no half steps, no wandering around searching. It will be clear pretty quickly if the direction is correct for you. If it is the right road...full speed ahead! If not...think, study, pray, network, visit the local guru...and repeat.

Relax, it will be revealed....if you pursue it.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”