Paying Sales tax on boats

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
yourmanwm75
Veteran

Paying Sales tax on boats

Postby yourmanwm75 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:01 pm

If I buy a boat from out of state do I pay taxes? I know if I buy a used boat in state from a individual I don't. Found a ski boat in Arkansas I like. And if anyone reading this has a decent used ski boat I'm in the market. Looking for something pretty cheap around 8k.
Trip
Duck South Addict

Re: Paying Sales tax on boats

Postby Trip » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:47 pm

If it's used, then no…
Josh Lantrip
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:11 am

I had a coworker buy a small plastic boat at Academy in Monroe. He paid LA sales tax and had to pay MS sales tax when he registered it here. He was some kind of pissed but it made a few days fun making fun of him for the loss of $54. haha
Peewee
cagoodwn
Veteran

Postby cagoodwn » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:08 am

If it's never been registered in MS you may have to pay state tax to register it the first time.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:19 am

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
msdeltadawg
Veteran

Postby msdeltadawg » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am

I bought a boat from a guy in Alabama last fall and did not have to pay sales tax in Mississippi.
420 racin
Veteran

Postby 420 racin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:55 am

Just get the guy to write a reciept for like $100 bucks so you will only have to pay sales tax (if you have to pay it) on that much rather than $8K...be alot cheaper that way
LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 am

YAll are some "dont know what the L your talking about sob's" If its from a private party its not taxed. Period end of discussion.

If its from a dealer used or new you must pay tax when it comes to MS. Period end of discussion. Doesnt matter what state its bought in.

Not from a dealer, all you need is a bill of sale. If from a dealer most that know what they are doing will require tax collected at the sale. If they will write you a personal bill of sale you can get around the tax man. That will be a felony for them so i doubt they will do it.

If you pay tax in another state when brought to MS you will pay the difference in the 2 states tax rate, if MS is higher. If You paid tax in another state and it was higher than MS tax rate show proff of tax and your good to go.
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am

Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:51 am

I've purchased boats from AR, LA, & TN…all used and have never been asked to pay taxes to register them in MS.
Josh Lantrip
BAY KINGFISHER
Duck South Addict

Postby BAY KINGFISHER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 pm

From the MS state site:

https://www.ms.gov/mdwfp/boat_registrat ... gistration

2.How do I register my boat?
You need to fill out an application for boat registration and mail or bring it to the MDWFP office with a copy of your sales receipt, bill of sale (copy) or a notarized statement of how you obtained the boat (in cases of an old boat being given to a person by a now deceased relative). Your bill of sale must be notarized or signed by two witnesses. New or used boats purchased outside of this state must show proof of 7% Mississippi sales tax paid if this was not paid at time of purchase.
HRCH Mr. Buck's Delta Do "Dee" MH
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:02 pm

LODI QUACKER
Duck South Addict

Postby LODI QUACKER » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Copy and paste what ever you want to.

I just told you what the rules are. Dont really care if you believe me. I promise you one thing, you cut a check, the state will cash it!!

I probably dont know what I am talking about though.
I dont know where that copy paste BS came from but download the Registration paperwork from the dept and see what is required. Nothing has to be notorized as long as you have a witness, and you only need one witness.

So yep Smoke you do fall into that catagory.

http://www.mdwfp.com/media/6844/boatreg ... onform.pdf

Edumacate yoselves.
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”