Yard drainage pipe cleaning

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Yard drainage pipe cleaning

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:51 am

We have a few drains in our yard that failed this weekend and I traced down the issue to rock-like sediment that has hardened to choke off the pipes. My water hose and a wire snake were no match for the blockage. Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking a high pressure flexible hose may break up the blockage but do not know if it will damage the pipe itself.
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Re: Yard drainage pipe cleaning

Postby deltadukman » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 am

I think the protocol on these type issues is what they call a clean out valve. Basically a 4-6" pvc pipe that comes into your drainage line outside of the house that lets you get a little better "reach" on the cleaning.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:35 am

Go to the hardware store and get a 4" flapper, it hooks to a hose and is used to clean out toilets etc. it comes in different sizes and is basically a ballon that inflates under pressure and squirts water around at the clog. Then get a fitting to attach hose screw threads to PVC pipe and a few sticks of 3/4" and some couplers. Glue fitting on 2 different sticks then glue them together, screw flapper on one end and hose on the other. Cram it in at the top and go until you reach the clog, turn on water and let it run. Cut pipe and add another stick cram down til you teach blockage, turn on water. Keep repeating until you clear pipe.
Where'd who go?
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:37 am

Oh yeah, and save those ends for the next time you have to do it.
Where'd who go?
arduckslayer
Duck South Addict

Postby arduckslayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 am

Sounds like he's talking about gutter drains that are piped underground to outlet away from the house and not his plumbing. Those drains don't have clean outs like plumbing does. If I'm wrong, correct me and I'm sorry.

Anyway, if it is just gutter drains, that pipe is easily replaced. Home Depot and Lowe's sells all the stuff for that black corregated pipe you'll need. You can dig up, splice and replace the blocked spot, or replace it all. It's not hard to work with. I put thousands of feet of that stuff in the ground when I worked for a home builder.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:53 am

That's why I said to get the 4" one. Most French drains and gutter drains are 4". And PVC instead of hose so you can push it long distances.
Where'd who go?
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 am

^^^ now i understand the "how" when you said i may have to blow it out if it gets a lot of dirt in the rocks...i had a hunch it was the big sewer clean out bulb, but wasn't sure about how to apply it (pvc).
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
regishay
Duck South Addict

Postby regishay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I have had to clean out a pipe before and used a small screw on bronze nozzle that sell for a couple of dollars. That will blow thru whatever you have without damaging the pipe. Unless the pipe is brittle, old, etc.. The bladder will damage the pipes also if you put to much pressure on them. Just depends on how old the pipe is.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
- General Macarthur

jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Nobody owes you anything.
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

If you have a buddy that's a plumber, ask if he can come tv the line. It'll tell you exactly what your problem is.
Josh Lantrip
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 pm

yesterday I popped the lids on the three boxes and had to use a hammer and screwdriver to get the pipes open enough to get my hand in the 4" pipe. It was a hardened rock like sediment. When I broke it in half, I could see the layer upon layer of sediment that built up. So I know the first foot is closed up pretty good. I am going to try the blast nozzle then the bladder to see if that opens anything up.
4dawgma
Duck South Addict

Postby 4dawgma » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

I've tried both ways, with that threaded adapter you can go either way.

May have have a weedeater for you walt.
Where'd who go?
dukluk
Duck South Addict

Postby dukluk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 pm

A little trick that I use on clogged drains, gutters, and smaller culverts is a leaf blower....prolly won't work on that rock hard sediment, but works great on clogs of leaves, grass, and light debris.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 am

Tell us. How did your drains handle this last round of torrential rainfall?
Nobody owes you anything.
DeltaCotton12
Duck South Addict

Postby DeltaCotton12 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Drainage was still bad to really poor. I have not had a chance to get in there and clean though. That is on the list for this afternoon.

I have a French drain in Pea Gravel where the poor drainage starts. Its my understanding the French Drain is more for removing seep water from the foundation and does not handle large amounts of water very well. My back yard catches run off from houses up the hill. I am going to clean the existing pipes as well as install 3 more Catch Basins where the flooding occurs for more water control. I can run new Corrugated pipe for the new catch basins and tie into the existing corrugated pipe closer to the main drain in the street.

Hopefully this will help with the water control. The water is close to touching the house in a good hard downpour.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”