Turkey load question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Dixie Dog
Regular

Turkey load question

Postby Dixie Dog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm

Not knowing a whole lot about turkey loads I thought I'd ask the pros. I have been trying to kill my first turkey and got a shot at one a few days ago. Was to far bug tried it anyway. I need some new shells and stopped to get some the other day and the guy talked me into #6. What's the main difference from 5 to 6. My old shells were 5. I just don't know enough to decide whether to keep the 6 or go get the 5. I shoot a bennelli nova w a jelly head choke. Thanks in advance.
Just another small town duck hunter
DUCKAHOLIC
Duck South Addict

Re: Turkey load question

Postby DUCKAHOLIC » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:50 am

The only way to truly find out is to buy different shells and shoot to see what patterns best in your gun. I shoot #6 out of all three of my turkey guns....but I have taken the time to find out that they do indeed shoot out of the set up i got. Remember what set up works in one gun (your buddies gun) may not work in yours....even if yall have the same gun and choke. Guns are like women you got to find what they like to make them work
Life's too damned complicated to make it too damned complicated
curlytail
Veteran

Postby curlytail » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:44 am

Get some of your Dad's shells! He doesn't shoot them now days!! The advice of trying different ones is good. I found that 5's pattern better in my regular turkey gun than the 6's. After this last back surgery, I carry a lighter gun (Luke's youth model 870) and the 6's work better in it. Tell your Dad hello.
mshunter77
Duck South Addict

Postby mshunter77 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Break down and spend the money on some Hevi shot magnum blends.
uncleC
Veteran

Postby uncleC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:18 am

spend a little money and pattern your gun with several different loads to see what it likes best... I used to have a Winchester 1300 turkey gun in the early 90's when specialty "turkey guns" were coming on the scene....to tell you the truth, I tried several different shells( all were 2 oz. loads of 4's and 6's ) that produced adequate patterns at best....picked up a box of 3" Winchester XX magnums with 2oz. of #5 shot.... the pattern was unreal.....I was shooting some Primos targets of a gobbler head and neck that were popular then....with that particular shell AND ONLY THAT PARTICULAR SHELL I was putting an average of 47 pellets in the neck and head at 45 measured yards..... sometimes one particular shell make all the difference
peewee
Duck South Addict

Postby peewee » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:10 am

Every gun is different and there isn't a one size fits all. That being said I would start as suggested and try a hevi-shot magnum blend or nitro. That jellyhead choke should work just fine, you just need to pick up a few shells and try them out.
Peewee
ScottyLee
Duck South Addict

Postby ScottyLee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm

i like winchester extended number 6's if you can find them. i also like the hevi13 number 6's. but best thing i can tell you is buy several boxes set up some targets at 20,30,40, and 50 and shoot each at those distances, see which one does best. and that's what u need to go with
Hole Hunter
Duck South Addict

Postby Hole Hunter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm

WAR DAYUM EAGLE!!!

A True Sportsman shoots what he eats and eats what he shoots.
Sod Man
Veteran

Postby Sod Man » Fri May 02, 2014 9:17 pm

I shoot the same gun with the same choke and have had good luck with the hevi shot magnum blend shells which is 5,6,7 all together
I might lose a job or a woman, but i will never lose hunting.
H20 Fowl
Duck South Addict

Postby H20 Fowl » Sat May 03, 2014 7:10 am

I shot the magnum blend for a few years and loved it. This year I made a switch to winchester long beard xr's for the simple reason, Rob Roberts recommended it. I couldn't be happier. Im shooting the 6's and they out perform the Hevi shot hands down out to 50 yards ( Thats as far as i patterned it)

I'm putting them through a SBE with an indian creek choke.

Try em out. They are very cheap compared to several others on the market.
music_man
Veteran

Postby music_man » Sun May 04, 2014 8:57 pm

I wish winchester would make extended range longbeards. That would be the ULTIMATE turkey load (IMO)

I have yet to see any shell outperform the longbeards.
300+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards is very common.
The magnum blend is a close second (pattern wise)

Bottom line, get a tom within 30 yards and any turkey load will kill him.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”