Yard grading

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Yard grading

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm

I am sick of looking a standing water in my back yard. What are my option as far a regrading? Is it something I could do myself with a disc and a harrow?
HR Dutch Charles Sampson Bearden ( Charlie)
The Land Man
Veteran

Re: Yard grading

Postby The Land Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 pm

Do you live in a neighborhood?
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Yea
The Land Man
Veteran

Postby The Land Man » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 pm

You may can just sand it or put in a few catch basins or french drains.
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 am

I had the same problem in my back yard for years. Finally, I installed a French drain and routed the water out of the back yard to the street. At first, it looked like I had a big line of gravel in my back yard. Then after a while, due to grass and leaves and such being washed over them, the gravel was hidden. Yes, I still get some water puddling up in the back yard, but not like it was. AND, it drains away much faster.

Here's a tip. If you have a lab or other dog that likes to dig, get yourself some chicken wire and stake it over the French drain. It'll keep fido from tearing out the work you paid for.
Nobody owes you anything.
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:54 am

Years ago when I worked on municipal level baseball fields and we had some puddling going on in the outfield we would make "vertical drains". They were quick and easy to do and did the job pretty well. To make them just dig about a 3-4' deep hole with an auger, (or post-hole digger if that's all you have), fill it up 3/4 of the way with pea gravel and the top 1/4 sand. Sod or seed grass on top. This isn't an end all be all drain but may help you get rid of puddling in your yard without all the trenching a french drain requires and you'll never know it was there once you top it off with the piece of turf you cut before digging the hole. I guess it's pretty much a big version of core aeration with pea gravel fill instead of all sand. Just a less drastic approach to major grade work in your yard.
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am

missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 am

Why wouldn't you bring in a load of dirt and grade it?

I presume you have access to a tractor? (First post mentioning the disk and harrow)

To do it right, you'd have to get someone to survey it.

Figuring out your elevation change is fairly simple. I say that, but a good friend is an engineer (has the equipment and such). It's amazing what a man can do with a few stakes and some rope.

Not the cheapest route, but will fix the problem more so than ankle twisting holes or 'runs'.
If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:10 pm

The Land Man
Veteran

Postby The Land Man » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm

It will cost you around 2600 to re-sod it if you pay someone or around 1500 if you lay it yourself. Do you have trees in your back yard?
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:33 pm

I have 2 small trees in the yard. I have one large water oak in the corner of the yard.

Here is a google image of my back yard. You notice all the white bags laying around... I have used countless bags of sand trying to level it up.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=32.463032,- ... 5&t=h&z=21

Water should drain from north west to south east. The water should then go in between my house and the neighbors to she street. One problem I have is the neighbor has some old indian hawthorns that are daming up the flow. I have dug a trench around for water to drain but it is not as effective as it would be if they were removed. If money was no option I would have the entire thing regraded to have water flow to the back (west) fence then down to the south and out.
missed mallards
Duck South Addict

Postby missed mallards » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 pm

If I don't do it, I ain't gettin nun.......So i'm doing it
QUACKERS
Duck South Addict

Postby QUACKERS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:23 pm

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.
bulldog ducker
Duck South Addict

Postby bulldog ducker » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:01 pm

I am calling my buddy Brandon tomorrow about that bobcat attachment... That would be absolutely perfect. Give me an hour with that thing and I am done.
Faithful Retrievers
Duck South Addict

Postby Faithful Retrievers » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 am

I had a spot in my back yard that was low an a ridge that was high beside it. I took a rotary tiller to the back of my tractor tilled it all then took a leveling blade to the whole thing. It wasn't perfect but it stopped the pooling in the low spot.
http://www.grizzlyjig.com
"Better to have people think your a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"- Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion Forum”