What model Sig Sauer for CC?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cockandlock25
Veteran

What model Sig Sauer for CC?

Postby cockandlock25 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm looking at getting a .357 sig caliber Sig Sauer to be my concealed carry gun. I'm pretty set on this gun but not really sure about the model yet. I've looked at a couple different models for this setup on the Sig Sauer website and handled a few in some stores but still not exactly sure which one I want. Anybody have one or can give me some tips, advice, comments, etc.?
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Re: What model Sig Sauer for CC?

Postby cwink » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:06 pm

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Duckimpeller
Regular

Postby Duckimpeller » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Check out the P239, its a single stack but I think it only comes in 9mm and 40cal. I have it in 40cal. Its smaller but feels good and balanced in your hand. For me the grip is just the right size to make it feel like a full size gun.

I also really like the 9mm M&P Shield I carry also.
iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:52 pm

The 239 is a good gun I have a couple in 9mm, they also come in the 357 and 40. I've got a 229 in 357 that's great and I carry it concealed, but mostly in winter when extra clothes hide it better. The little 290 hides well in any weather, it is only available in 9mm though. I'm a big fan of sigs, can't go wrong with one.

That being said... I don't know how many pistols you own, or how many rounds of ammo you like to keep on hand, but having a "standard" round like a 9 or 45 could make your life easier in this regard. They're way easier to come by, every local sports store and guns shop stocks them (when there's not a gun grabbing scare going on) but not everywhere has the 357 all the time. With the defensive ammo they're making nowadays I can't see a dimes difference in owning one of the lesser three over another. You want the "almighty" knock down power? Like wink said get a 45. The 357sig ammo has gotten a lot cheaper now that it hasn't faded out and is carried by some gubment folks, but it's just not readily available. Not that I'm trying to sell you on something else just giving my two cents.

Get a sig if that's what you want, you won't be disappointed with the quality. See which one feels best in your hand and go with that first. Caliber second.

Budget a distant third :wink:
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!
miket
Veteran

Postby miket » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm

[quote="cwink"]Also I am not a fan of 1911 style Single Action pistols as concealed carry guns. You have to either carry them cocked and locked with special holsters or carry them hammer down.. If you are like most CC people, you will end up having different carry modes for different seasons or styles of dress 1911 type single action holsters will limit how you can carry your gun.

I'm asking this question because I truly don't know the answer. What is the difference between carrying a 1911 cocked and locked and a striker type pistol such as the xd? Isn't the xd cocked and locked with a hidden vs. exposed hammer?
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14 pm

I recently sold a 238 because I really didn't like carrying cocked and locked. I am thinking about the Glock 42 but I am hearing they are having some problems. In the meantime I am carrying a Kahr PM9.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:05 am

http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am

Hard to beat the 239. Get the 357 sig gun, then buy the 9mm conversion barrel and mags for "cheap" plinking.
miket
Veteran

Postby miket » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks cwink!
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks for the tips guys!
"What would we attempt to achieve if someone told us that we couldn't fail? Sometimes fear of failure is the only thing that stands in our way of success."
cockandlock25
Veteran

Postby cockandlock25 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 am

While I'm on the subject, what are yall's favorite holsters for the sigs and while concealed carrying?
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 am

Ster
Veteran

Postby Ster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am

I may be wrong but I believe those are double stack magazines. If you haven't CC before then let me warn you that a single stack gun is probably better. I have several hand guns of various sizes but the three that I ever CC are all single stack automatics. Springfield XDS, Ruger LC9, and Taurus slim 709. I have other subcompacts that I never CC because they are just to uncomfortable with the double stack magazines.

That is just my opinion.
chevy01234
Duck South Addict

Postby chevy01234 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 am

iron grip
Duck South Addict

Postby iron grip » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 am

I have a couple Raven concealment ACRs for the smaller sigs like the 229 and 239, and the phantom light compatible for the larger like the 226 and 220 that can be IWB or OWB. Harwell holsters for the 290, a little galco super tuck (I think) for sig 232 that nice for a dress up function where I have to tuck my shirt in.
At times there is not a satisfactory substitute for well-aimed lead going down range at high velocity.
-Jim Rawles

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us!

Return to “General Discussion Forum”