Which Breed?

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Which Breed?

Postby hillhunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm

If you could choose a breed, other than a Lab, Chessie, or Golden for duck and upland hunting, which would it be? Just curious for the responses. I have a Lab that I love dearly and it would take a LOT for me to stray from the breed, the fact that there are so many says so much for their adaptation and ability also. So if not one of those three, which would be your next choice?
work hard, play hard
simplepeddler
Veteran

Re: Which Breed?

Postby simplepeddler » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:26 pm

I chose the Wachtelhund
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm

If I were on the coast or farther south, where it doesn't get as cold, I'd get a German Shorthair. They just don't take the cold as well from what I understand.
Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
deltadukman
Duck South Addict

Postby deltadukman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am

Boykin Spaniel hands down. My brother has one and I will have one eventually. Awesome little dogs!
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Field bred springer spaniel

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
EvanG
Veteran

Postby EvanG » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:57 am

I understand if you don't want to hear this. You may have your heart set on having a non-mainstream breed. But my best advice is to do all you can to get a top quality dog regardless of breed or color. Best performance, best health, and the credentials to back it up. There are a host of reasons why Labradors continue to be the most popular breed of retriever. They don't know what breed or color they are. They're just good dogs more often than any other breed when it comes to fieldwork. As the late D.L. Walters said; "A common dog eats as much as a great one. Do all you can to get a great one."

EvanG
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
“Please don't post anything on the gun dog forum that might have anything to do with dog training.”
― BrettG
grnhed
Duck South Addict

Postby grnhed » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 am

Some type of Spaniel, without a doubt!
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

To be honest I love my dog and if I had my choice it would be one of his sons when I get another. He is four now and probably don't want another till he is a couple of years older. He has great bloodlines and has been a great hunting partner and companion, just never got into the hunt tests with him.

I really can't see owning anything other than a Lab but just wanted to hear other opinions because I like to research and read about other breeds.
work hard, play hard
Greenhead329
Veteran

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:16 am

German Draathar (sp?) or a Boykin
All I know is... A wise rooster don't bury his head when a chicken hawk is around...he keeps his eyes on his chickens

Dude...Why'd you make the homeless guy pay for supper?
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon May 05, 2014 9:58 am

Boykin.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
fishduck
Veteran

Postby fishduck » Tue May 06, 2014 9:15 am

For public land y'all are all wrong!! You don't really need a retriever anyway. The right breed is a big, barking pit bull that bites. It may be a pain to put on his floaties and tow him around in his inner tube. Your buddies will bitch about carrying the dogs heater, extra large dog stand and his chew toys. When the first group sets up 50 yards downwind of your decoys my dog Tuffy is the only one to have. A simple sic em will launch him into action.

As he is eating the decoys, peeing on the gun cases and pooping in the other groups boat, they are salvaging their equipment & getting out of Dodge. So far all retrievers can swim faster than him so they escape. By the time I get there the remaining hunters have climbed trees. They are more than happy to relocate after I put his chain back on his spiked collar.

He is also invaluable for clearing boat launches! He would perfect if he would retrieve a duck. As it is, Tuffy is more than happy to eat the ducks I retrieve. I miss duck gumbo but don't miss it enough to resume competing with yahoos!
Mark Land
mlreb
Veteran

Postby mlreb » Tue May 06, 2014 7:53 pm

My boykin turned 2 in January and he's been awesome. Duck hunts, dove hunts, and trails deer like a champ. Smart as a whip.i may never have another breed
sondance
Veteran

Postby sondance » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 am

I have had several field bred springers over the years and love them. I just got a new pup about a month ago. I found a top notch breeder right here in MS at southaven kennels out of Eupora. I have been extremely happy so far
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:37 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Blackduck
Duck South Addict

Postby Blackduck » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:17 pm

I've got a half lab half Brittany. Not on purpose but it was kinda give too us. We'll see.
No, i don't want to know you ---- teul

Return to “General Discussion Forum”