Wanting to can some salsa

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Wanting to can some salsa

Postby southernvaughan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 pm

I've been making some good fresh salsa lately and would like to can some of it. I was going to get a jar sealer for my vacuum sealer. Will this work if I sterilize the jars and lids? Or will I need to get my salsa up to a certain temp and just can it traditional style? I'm trying to avoid cooking my salsa because it will change the flavor and texture and I e got it right where I want it!
ransco33
Veteran

Re: Wanting to can some salsa

Postby ransco33 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Are you using fresh tomatoes for the salsa? If so, do you mind sharing the recipe? I've been looking for a good recipe for fresh tomatoes for summer time.
levi127
Duck South Addict

Postby levi127 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 pm

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
Cheers, Georgie.

Spectra Shot Rep
Mojo Dealer
Bettis Custom Calls Pro Staff
donia
Duck South Addict

Postby donia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 am

There will be an approved (FDA) course for canners of acidified canned foods (sauces, pickled vegetables, salsas, etc) March 6-7 at the Rankin County Extension office.
Thank you,
Juan Silva and Anna Hood

i don't know if you want to pay $250 to learn how (certified when it's over), but just think... you could be ms ducks' resident canning guru!

if you want more info, let me know and i'll email the .doc registration form and course info.
Experience is a freakin' awesome teacher...
Rowdy53103
Veteran

Postby Rowdy53103 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

chance
Duck South Addict

Postby chance » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:24 pm

I will put up between 36 and 48 pints of salsa a year. I use fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper and carrots in my salsa. I always use a hot water bath for canning. I have never lost one pint due to spoilage and I make enough to last us for 12 months. The only danger with hot water bath canning is jar breakage. This is due to two factors. Jars ratting against one another during the process or overfilling.
GODFATHER
GRENADA MAFIA
bustercat64
Veteran

Postby bustercat64 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:36 am

I make my own relish and salsa but both are cooked not fresh. My wife came home last year with one of those packages from wal mart that is in the canning section, it turned out better than I thought but it calls for a lot of tomatoes. I will do it again this year but I will be adding peppers.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”