More info on the Off Duty Cop from Chicago

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

More info on the Off Duty Cop from Chicago

Postby cwink » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 am

You don't get to be able to react this way from a one day training class. This takes years of both on duty and off duty to be able to produce this type of muscle memory response. I am not sure I would or could have reacted the way he did.

http://www.funkertactical.com/off-duty- ... be-robber/
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Re: More info on the Off Duty Cop from Chicago

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 am

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/02/12/ ... g-her-son/

Sad deal. We don't know the whole story, but bottom line is the boy's mother doesn't blame the victim (the off-duty cop). That's good to see in the midst of a lose-lose situation.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:58 am

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Smoke68
Duck South Addict

Postby Smoke68 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
RiverDuck
Duck South Addict

Postby RiverDuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:47 pm

SNOT
Duck South Addict

Postby SNOT » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:03 pm

cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Chances are the cop didn't know the kid was 16, the only thing he probably saw was the end of that barrel..

As I mentioned before I am not sure I would or could have acted as he did. I think I would have tried to create much more distance between me and the bad guy, just out of pure fear for my life. And unless I had family members in the car I am not sure I would risk getting shot over my wallet and my car.

The 3 guys came up and surprised him, which means he let his guard or awareness down.. Maintaining awareness is hard to do at all times but I try to keep my awareness up as much as possible but it is tough. In this situation it seems he let his guard down a little.

On the flip side you can see him create space and position his hand on the gun before he drew it. And his reaction and draw of the gun is quick, precise and there is absolutely no thought process to it.. It is pure muscle memory

We talk alot about the emotions and aftermath of a shooting, in this case the officer may have to deal with a lot of emotions about taking the life of a 16yo, but we also talk about the fact that the officer didn't dictate this kids decisions... From reading the article this is no where near the kids first brush with the law, and by his actions the officer likely saved the life of someone else down the line.

We can all sit back and quess what we could, would or should have done, but the officer didn't do that.. He reacted on his training and it most likely saved his or the life of someone else
-George Washington
jacksbuddy
Duck South Addict

Postby jacksbuddy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 am

Nobody owes you anything.
hntrpat1
Duck South Addict

Postby hntrpat1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 am

Who cares how old the robber is! He was robbing the guy, took the risk and paid dearly for it.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 am

-George Washington
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am

From your take on it - Was the cop pretending to get his wallet out while drawing? What was the cop's left arm doing - distracting/blocking the other gun/other?
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm

-George Washington
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Veteran

Postby 1010 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:03 pm

A good question to ask yourself before you carry, Am I prepared to shoot somebody even a teen ager that robs or threatens me..

Have your name, job, family put in the spotlight of A-Z.

Or just be remembered as a good guy, husband, father. That was mugged and stabbed in the lung or shot with his own gun..

get your life right with the man above, and show no mercy, cause you won't receive it. JMO

Big hand to the off duty cop.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”