DIY Elk/Mule deer hunt??

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
quack_a_tack
Duck South Addict

DIY Elk/Mule deer hunt??

Postby quack_a_tack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Myself and a couple of buddies are pondering going on a do it yourself elk or mule deer hunt this fall. Has anyone on this board done this? Would like to know ballpark estimate of cost, best place to go/ease of getting a tag for one or both. Thanks
Damn, i thought I had that one

Is that buddy of yours tryin to blow that call or make love to it?
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Re: DIY Elk/Mule deer hunt??

Postby Dux Be Us » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:20 pm

Here ya go...

Colorado:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollect ... lanner.pdf

South Dakota:

These guys do a little of everything and are very easy on the non resident

http://lowerbrulewildlife.com/?id=70

Y'all have fun :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
craziehunter18
Veteran

Postby craziehunter18 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 pm

A group of us from the hunting club go every year that we can. We normally go to Pagosa Springs and Silverton, CO. I did put in for a first rifle season draw in the 371 unit(Silverthorne/Vail) a few years ago hoping for less vertical climbing. It was just as steep as Silverton but I did get on a bunch more elk than normal. It would also be a great place to bow hunt as I came across many rubs and wallows that were used a couple weeks before we got there. The bow spots were no more than 800 yards from I-70. I spent around $2000 on the hunt. A tag then was $575 I believe.
Evin

[size=150]TEAM ADVOCARE[/size]

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. -1Thessalonians 5:16-17
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 am

get commitments now, you will need to start planning early. like in May especially if you camp.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
lipsplitter39654
Duck South Addict

Postby lipsplitter39654 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 am

I've had good success in co

Def try to get in on the late draw hunt if you are doing a rifle hunt

The over the counter tags are ok but there'll be Navajos from every town 12 deep in suburbans road hunting

In my opinion your best odds are a muzzle loader hunt if you go to co they will likely be bugling and not as many hunters

Keep in mind co is strict on muzzleloader equipment no scope etc

Youre gonna spend at least 1500-2000 each by the time you buy tags and get there and eat

I don't know of any myself but a drop camp would be cool
"Life is tough, life is even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne

"Forgive and forget; but always remember." Jack Miner
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:50 am

I've only fooled with elk, not deer. If you want to try for a bull, you'll probably have to go OTC archery in Colorado. Believe that tag was dang near touching $600 last year after buying a habitat stamp. I agree with whoever posted above that a muzzleloader may be your best chance for success, as you get to hunt while they should be yelling, but don't have to get close and draw a bow. But unless you've got preference points you're not telling us about, that's not likely.
It's a bloody mary morning...
swamprooter
Duck South Addict

Postby swamprooter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 am

I have been quite a bit. maybe 20+ do it yourself western bowhunts. no authority by no means just a broke soul that always went "cheap" in my youth. i'll jot down some important ideas or lessons on Elk.
Elk.
1. pick your hunting buddies carefully. Will your buddy for-go a day of hunting to help you pack out an elk?
2. Hunt wilderness areas by getting packed in and out with a local cowboy. less hunters and work
3. Best elk hunting in CO is on private land during bowseason in general. You can stomp around national forest but odds will be 800% lower than if you bite the bullet and hunt private land or get drawn in good area.
4. AZ is worth a 9 year wait. thats all i'll say.....it's flat, big elk , less hunters
5. Take enough time off work...2 week minimum...
6.Most important......hunting high altitude and fat is no fun.....running and walking is great prep work but do some strenght training too .. squat rack!!!!
7.dont get crazy on gear... especially boots....seen many a local resident out walk me in converse high tops!! but get water proof breathable for morning hunts.. dew is heavy
8. drink a lot of water all the time
9.Private landowner tags are my favorite... sort of expensive but you hunt to yourself.
10. Leave Bugle tube at camp... learn how to cow call and shoot off your knees bow hunting.
11. learn how to de-bone an elk in the field by the gutless method.
12. I have a fanny pack full of hunting goodies south east of Montrose by Lone Cone MT if you get near there
"i aint a mindreader, i am just an elf" Silas Robertson
jdbuckshot
Duck South Addict

Postby jdbuckshot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 am

you can draw many units in CO for muzzle loader during the Rut with 2 points.
"The rich ..... who are content to buy what they have not the desire to get by their own exertions, These are the real enemies of Game."
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 am

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Postby novacaine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Forgot to add:
Last time i went the otc tags were $250. We drove a suburban the first year and split gas 4 ways (gas was around $1.20/gallon though).Motel was $37/night at Pagosa roach motel. Add more money for food as your will eat like a horse at altitude...
Camped 3 days on mountain and 4rd day a motel(my max time frame for having swamp/mountain ass), then went back up to mountain as we left our tents set up in field.
San Juan mountain range can be rugged..... break you boots in before you get there.
Why practice on your knees???? When that slobbering, screaming, snot throwing monster in closing in on you...........you WONT be able to stand up!!!
Good luck.
"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:13 pm

bringing this back up.

i've gotten bitten by the archery bug the past year, and i like that it starts early. a buddy and I are wanting to start planning a trip to CO, AZ, or somewhere out west to try and kill a bull with our bows DIY.

i've camped for several days at a time out there so know a little what to expect in those regards, but have no clue where to begin on looking to get drawn or OTC tags. I really wouldn't mind waiting several years to get drawn on a great unit or if the place is right to DIY, but wouldn't mind paying for the right place.

pm if you'd like.

thanks.
Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
gtk
Veteran

Postby gtk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

You may consider a "Self Guided Trespass Fee" hunt. Basically your paying someone to hunt their private land. I did my first one last year & got lucky . Going back again this year.

Also, we opted to stay in a hotel instead of camping. After a LONG day hunting, its nice to take a hot shower & sleep in a warm bed .
hdforester
Veteran

Postby hdforester » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 pm

See classifieds
champcaller
Duck South Addict

Postby champcaller » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Achilles' Man in Black - CashMH

www.frontlinewaterfowl.com
lipsplitter39654