New ATV you all should run out and buy

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
country_20boy
Veteran

New ATV you all should run out and buy

Postby country_20boy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 pm

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/atv-quad/s ... ight-white

What is this thing? Looks like an answer to a question no one asked.

Basically a $7500 atv with roof and windshield that carries one person and very little cargo? They may sell a million of them, but I can't see any use for it.
slayem
Veteran

Re: New ATV you all should run out and buy

Postby slayem » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Looks like it may be aimed at rock crawlers! Looks like it will roll like a ball back down a hill with that roof!
ShiftZ
Regular

Postby ShiftZ » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Reminds me of the old Honda Odessey ATV. Just to get out and play
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:55 am

I can see a market for it with kids and teenagers who have over protective mothers who won't let them get an ATV for fear of flipping it. We all hear stories about people dying on 4 wheelers. Most of the time they are doing something stupid or pushing a bad situation that the ATV wasn't designed for. This puts the person inside a roll cage and strapped in. I personally wouldn't have one but can see the thought process behind it. I don't know if there's a market big enough for the niche. I can see my wife screaming bloody murder if we had a son and I wanted to get him a 4 wheeler.

Just a thought. I could be completely wrong and the guy's who designed this deal had no idea what they were thinking when they designed it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:55 am

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
BBR12
Veteran

Postby BBR12 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:14 am

First thought was this is the beginning of the end for sit on top ATV's. Won't be long until someone rolls a regular ATV and will sue because the manufacturer COULD have provided more protection from a roll over. Then the feds will step in and ban regular ATV's just like they did 3 wheelers.

I do a little wood working and this has basically already happened with table saws. Guy cuts his finger of with a $300 table saw, sues and wins a lawsuit because there is very expensive technology that can help prevent such accidents. Not exactly sure where the regs are now but last I read the feds were about to rule that every table saw would have to have these expensive devices installed.
HR Reid's Shasta Daisy

aka Choclabs
kb7722
Veteran

Postby kb7722 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 am

Great something else to add to the "good ole days" stories to tell my kids. "When i was growing up we had 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers with no roll cages... we had republican presidents..."
ACEINTHEHOLE
Duck South Addict

Postby ACEINTHEHOLE » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Had a friend get killed on a 4 wheeler when we were younger. I am not to much of a man to like something safer for kids/teenagers or even adults. I like it, but definitely needs more cargo space.
Casie Page

lipsplitter39654 wrote:
... an old man with a gun will kill you if you mess with him ...
jmh600
Veteran

Postby jmh600 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

sorry for your loss, I personally think I would rather flip a 4 wheeler than flip that thing. I would like to think I could throw myself off the 4 wheeler before it flipped or while it was flipping, which I have had to do before, with that thing your kinda stuck inside the cage rattling around (which I guess is the point) but thats just me..
Seymore
Duck South Addict

Postby Seymore » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I speak from experience when I say three are times when things happened so fast that a person can't throw themselves off a four wheeler in time. The first bike I bought years ago I brought home in the back of the truck with new ramps. Wife had already been fussing about them not being safe and how I was going to kill myself. I couldn't wait to unload it and ride around the neighborhood some. I put the ramps up and didn't read the instructions. I'm a man and I don't need no freaking instructions. I didn't attach the safety cables.
The next thing I remember is laying on the driveway flat on my back with this terrible pain in the back of my head and neck. The ramps has slip off the tail gate and before I could have done anything I was already screwed. I pushed the bike in the carport thinking I had torn it up but I hadn't. I then went to bed and had a very bad headache all weekend from hitting the back of my head on the concrete. I wasn't about to dare tell my wife what happened. All I could hear was, "you'll shoot your eye out" playing over, and over.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin.

Those who can do. Those who can't get on MSDUCKS and try to convince everyone they can.
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:35 am

I know of two men that were killed while loading/unloading using ramps.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
Bonecollecter1111
Duck South Addict

Postby Bonecollecter1111 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am

i learned along time ago, when the ramps come out from under you, hit the gas hard. itll jar you, but it will keep the atv moving backwards and not on top of you!! drop baskets do interfer, but unless your using really short ramps on a tall truck the trick still works.

and back to the topic, it does look a heck of alot like the ole honda oddessy with a beer bed on the back
Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. -Isaac Newton

The problem with communication is the illusion that it actually happened!
southernvaughan
Duck South Addict

Postby southernvaughan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:29 pm

Best plan is to use a trailer. I learned years ago to push a wheeler out the back of truck instead of ride it down the ramp. Your still screwed when loading it though.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”