Hunting License Question

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
Jrh215
Regular

Hunting License Question

Postby Jrh215 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Got a friend who's in his 30's never hunted, hasn't done hunters ed, and wants to tag along on a duck hunt. He has absolutely NO intentions of taking a gun much less shooting. What are the rules on this. Would love to get some input from our CO's out there.
Bercy
Veteran

Re: Hunting License Question

Postby Bercy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Not a CO here, but he can go as long as he does not assist on any manner in the hunt - can't put decoys out, can't call, can't tell you ducks are coming, etc. He's just bird watching.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:03 am

I think they have an apprentice license that will allow them to hunt 1 year without taking hunter's ed.. But good luck trying to find a Federal Waterfowl stamp. I tried 5 different places last night and couldn't find one anywhere.
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 am

A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:48 pm

This doesn't make sense? So after the season let's say a photographer wants to set up and just take pictures of the birds...he needs a license ???[/quote]

After the season you are not hunting and don't need a license. My understanding is that if the CO wants to be a jerk with someone on a hunt but not hunting, he can issue a ticket if the non-hunter participated in any manner in the hunt. I think Wingman answered this question not to long ago on here or the other site.
CBrown
Veteran

Postby CBrown » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:30 pm

I don't mean to hijack this thread but Cwink I am running into the same problem. Brookhaven post office and walmart and the McComb post office and walmart are out of stamps. If you buy a stamp on-line and keep the reciept from the postal store will that suffice?
waterbug
Duck South Addict
Location: Brandon, MS --- which is the 3rd ring of Saturn right next to Uranus

Postby waterbug » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Buy the federal stamp online; Print out the stamp/receipt to show you paid, write your name across it and use it until your stamp arrives in the mail.
Greenwing's Red Dawn *** - Storm
Baby Blue's Gale Force Wind *** - Gale
HR McGuffee's Shadow Maximus - Max
teul2
Duck South Addict

Postby teul2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Looking for 2 duck calls from Dominic Serio of Greenwood (ones for Novacaine)
"Most Chesapeakes, unless in agreement that it is his idea, will continually question the validity of what he is being asked to do" - Butch Goodwin
Jrh215
Regular

Postby Jrh215 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

thanks for the input and to tuel for posting the old thread. i knew there was one but couldn't find it.
Rice
Duck South Addict

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 am

A man who won't has no advantage over the man who can't.
SB
Duck South Addict

Postby SB » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Participating is a broad meaning word. If a person is only taking pictures, no license is needed. If they are calling ducks or jerking on a jerk string, then they are participating in the hunt and would need a license/stamps, etc.

I get that question somewhat frequently. I will tell the person asking the question that I would not even assist the hunter with carrying a duck, squirrel, deer out for the hunter.
Scott Baker

Return to “General Discussion Forum”