Water in fuel....

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
7ducks
Veteran

Water in fuel....

Postby 7ducks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 am

Saturday morning I went out and started my engine to warm up. Came back out in a few minutes and it was running roughly and had no power at all. I cut it off and caught a ride to the farm to hunt. Came back around 11:00 and it would not start at all.....ended up having it towed to a Jackson dealership where they found water in the fuel, quite a bit of water. I called the station where I bought the fuel(probably buy 99.9 from this store, so I knew where it came from) and they had not had anyone else report any problems regarding water in their fuel......after doing research on the web we found that heavy condensation occurs when your tank is less than half full (mine was) and very cold weather is present (19 that morning). Also found out that they can legally sell fuel that contains 3% water. Anyway I had to have the tank drained, lines blown out/ one replaced , new plugs / 1 coil replaced..... spent around 1200 with the tow to Jackson. Make sure you use a additive such as sea foam or some other product to break down water in fuel....... Four years ago this same thing happened and I was able to drive the car home ruining the engine in a company car ....Hopefully some of you will learn something from my experience.
A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Re: Water in fuel....

Postby RedEyed Duck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 am

I'd recommend using an additive that will clean fuel injectors and remove water as a preventative measure every oil change. I'd also find an honest local repair shop that could work on my vehicles.

Tow bill = $100
Plugs = $50
Ignition coil = $100
Fuel line = $50
Fuel disposal = $100
Labor at dealer = $800 :shock:

Hope you have better luck going forward and a last few weeks of duck season!
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
slim jim
Veteran

Postby slim jim » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:16 am

Gota love ethanol fuel
this look's like it's gona hurt
7ducks
Veteran

Postby 7ducks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 am

A duck call is one of the best conservation tools ever invented
GrizwalD
Duck South Addict

Postby GrizwalD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am

COON HUNTER
duckter
Duck South Addict

Postby duckter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 am

I have put off putting on a water/fuel line separator - but this serves as yet another reminder to do so. Keep your tanks topped-off at all times as the ability of Ethanol to pull/create moisture happens most frequently in extreme temperature changes. I would say going from 5 degrees to 60 within a few days would be ideal for this issue.

Startron makes a really good product to eliminate this issue and can be found at most auto part's retailers. I have spoken with Startron's Engineer on this very subject and learned a lot. Their company is based out of Florida and he has told me horror stories of many large yachts with 500-1000+ gallon tanks with 5 and 10+ gallons of water in them.
Son, be sure to check the oil. The gas will take care of itself. George Carter - Circa 1965
southernmallard
Duck South Addict

Postby southernmallard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:05 am

Same thing happened to me in my duramax, except mine died at the pump. I was hot, mine was more than 1200, closer to 2k.

I was at an Indian gas station and of course he claimed it wasn't his fault and he wasn't paying for it, so I took pictures of my truck, kept my receipt, took pictures of it being towed and pictures of all the water in the fuel and kept a 5 gallon sample. I got an attorney friend to write a strong worded letter to the gas station and the petroleum company. The petroleum company called me a day later, covered everything and had me sign away my rights to further pursue it and it was a done deal.

It's a real pain that you have to be scared to pump fuel, but after that I only go to gas stations with really high gas turnover. The longer it sits in the station's holding tanks; the bigger the chance of water getting in.
GRHRCH Hilltop's Peanut Butter Crackers MH QAA - "Nab"
Jackson's Record Chasing Redux - "Riley"

HAIL STATE
Deltaquack
Duck South Addict

Postby Deltaquack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:13 am

blgros1
Duck South Addict

Postby blgros1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am

Going through same issue with my 250. Water and trash in Diesel. Replace entire fuel delivery system, injectors, cooler, pumps, ect....... 10K plus tax, not covered under warranty and Insurance is trying to say its from lack of maintenance which if you know me my stuff is taken care of. Will find out today what the verdict is from Insurance company. Making Dealership take truck all the way down to the high pressure fuel pump to have adjuster come out and inspect it. Great way to start 2014!
"I don't know what it is bout this time of year, don't know if my lip is to short or my toof is to long, but poooooo my lips is chap chap" poo poo brousard
Wildfowler
Duck South Addict

Postby Wildfowler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:05 am

driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Trip
Duck South Addict

Postby Trip » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 pm

That water is some bad stuff, going through the same thing right now. Instead of my vehicle though it's my flocking house!

Josh Lantrip
RedEyed Duck
Duck South Addict

Postby RedEyed Duck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Man Trip, very sorry to see that. Let us know if we can do anything to help!

B Vinci, wasn't trying to be a smart booty, sorry if it came across that way.
I am interested in purchasing duck calls that were made by Mike McLemore. I am a family member and they have a sentimental value.
DRYLOK
Veteran

Postby DRYLOK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:08 pm

"I am only one, but still I am one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. " Edward Everett Hale (1822-1909)
Northbigmuddy
Veteran

Postby Northbigmuddy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm

USA Back to Back World War Champs
BR549
Duck South Addict

Postby BR549 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Return to “General Discussion Forum”