New Orleans in the spring

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
fireplug
Duck South Addict

New Orleans in the spring

Postby fireplug » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Wife wants to make a trip down for the anniversary and wants to be on the lookout for deals on rooms. First week in April.
Where should we look to stay that I won't have to worry about my truck getting stolen? Safe places with decent walking to
sights?
How do you like your Hope and Change?
Long Cut
Veteran

Re: New Orleans in the spring

Postby Long Cut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:39 pm

My wife and I stayed at the marriott on canal street back in may for a conference. Safe valet parking i their garage and walking distance to everything ( Quarter, Jackson Square, Riverwalk etc.)
matador1
Duck South Addict

Postby matador1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Go to livingsocial.com They run deals down there all the time. They didi have some to the Loews. I bought one last time and it was really nice.
Your resident mortgage loan officer. You've got a friend in the business. http://www.adamblack.net
Dux Be Us
Duck South Addict

Postby Dux Be Us » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Nicer hotels have enclosed guarded parking...costs extra. Most offer a shuttle as well...tip the driver. Y'all have fun :wink:
" You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 am

Most of the hotels in the French Quarter or down around Canal will have valet parking, but it is typically $27-$30 a day. April is not a bad time to go as the closer it gets to Memorial Day weekend, the cheaper the room rates will be. That being said, weekends are always going to be higher than Monday through Friday if leaving on Friday.

We typically go down during the week in late Spring or Summer and take the train out of Jackson. From the train station to any hotel in the Quarter is a $11 flat rate fee. There is now a trolley that runs to the train station due to the influx of visitors for the Super Bowl held a year ago, so that too is an option for any train travelers. I just perfer a cab so I do not have to lug around my luggage.

If you prefer to stay around Canal Street, but hang out in the French Quarter, you can purchase day passes for the trolley so as to cut down on so much walking. We just prefer to stay in the Quarter.
GulfCoast
Duck South Addict

Postby GulfCoast » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

google "corn stalk inn." We love that place, and its one block away from the insanity, but still quiet. Easy to walk back, hit the facilities in peace, then walk right back to the insanity.
So many ducks, so little time....

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH (2005-2017)
HRCH Tipsy MH
Zsa-Zsa Puppy
Drakeshead
Duck South Addict

Postby Drakeshead » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 pm

what sights? There is a nice b&B on audobon park that is 50 ft from the park/streetcar (although streetcar line is under construction currently), 50 yds to Tulane/Loyola, a nice stroll to the zoo, much closer to magazine than any hotel in the quarter. In a million dollar neighborhood, so pretty safe. it is where I put people up.
woundedduck
Duck South Addict

Postby woundedduck » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm

The 2nd weekend in April is the French Quarter Festival. It is fun but crowded as he11! If you want a relaxed weekend, don't go then. 560,000 people attended last year.
cwink
Duck South Sponsor

Postby cwink » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:16 pm

We stayed at the international house last spring when we were down there for the George Strait concert.. It was pretty nice and close enough walk to bourbon..
http://safefireshooting.com/
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them"
-George Washington
CBRADGO
Veteran

Postby CBRADGO » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:32 am

+1 on International House. Not too spendy, close to everything, real reasonable. Squeaky beds and paper thin walls, though... :oops:
"I stay away from that forum. It turns people into idiots and the ones who are idiots to start with are unbearable..."

-Blackduck
stang67
Duck South Addict

Postby stang67 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 am

TNBayouBengal
Regular

Postby TNBayouBengal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:24 pm

Marriott Courtyard on Iberville (used to be Iberville Suites).

Return to “General Discussion Forum”