specks

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
slew
Veteran

specks

Postby slew » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:43 pm

how many decoys are needed for specks, I have one doz and about three doz snows is that enough and how would you place them
novacaine
Duck South Addict

Re: specks

Postby novacaine » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

"You didn't happen to find that on the side of the road did you?"- One Shot
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

With a good call no decoys are needed.

Without a good call 12-24 placed in family groups, normally odd numbers. Snow decoys are normally a waste of time unless you have several hundred in my opinion. Honestly if you want to kill specks there isn't much more rewarding in waterfowl hunting than calling specks into the decoys.
YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 am

We killed a few today with no speck decoys and very mediocre calling.
grik
Regular

Postby grik » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 pm

any body got a rec on speck call and instructional CD? I've tried before but getting the reed to "break over" was not easy --- I understand back pressure is key but it don't come naturally for me. We've got a ton of speck in our area and I "call" at them while we are duck hunting but there is usually not a lot of interest on the specs part -- I suspect that is due probably to my calling lacking --- any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. thanks
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:21 am

"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
hillhunter
Duck South Addict

Postby hillhunter » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Have any of you guys ever had any luck hunting specks in the afternoon? Or you think mornings only? Like finding some in wheat or bean fields after sun up and setting up close to there a little later after you run them up or something? Just wondering, would love to hunt some one day. My understanding is that they decoy better than mallards but have only killed two and they were decoying in to duck decoys at a honker call.
work hard, play hard
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

I have always done best on them mid morning. However over the years have killed some in the afternoons typically over a grit pile in the marsh. It's always worth a try if you can pattern them AND you don't shoot a roost hole for them.
Bercy
Veteran

Postby Bercy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 am

YazooValley
Veteran

Postby YazooValley » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 am

music_man
Veteran

Postby music_man » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:28 am

Deltaduk
Veteran

Postby Deltaduk » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 am

youtube a riceland poly speck call. call is so thick it feels like an acrylic call Don't even have to control back pressure with your hands.. Just cupp them and blow.. give it a look see. great call and at about $70-80 I cant remember
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Wingman
Duck South Addict

Postby Wingman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Beginner speck callers can't go wrong with the Haydel compensator. It has a little restrictor on the end that helps you to make it yodel easier.

I've hunted them in the afternoons when the moon is full. Yesterday we caught them coming in to water all day long while dry feeding in field right across the road. It was fabulous. If you can find them coming to water, you can pretty much hunt them anytime of day. I equate them dry feeding (as in absolutely no water in the field they're feeding in) to us eating cereal with no milk. You can only go so long before you gotta take a drink. But the cool thing is, you'll have constant action as group after group comes to the water and returns to the field.

When the moon is dark, they'll come off the roost about sunrise and go to the feeding fields. Try to pattern them at least two days in a row when they are doing this.

I love field hunting specks. It just takes a good bit of land to do it on a consistent basis around here.
ISAIAH 40:31

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
JCA
Regular

Postby JCA » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Specks have gotten in my blood bad over the last couple of years. I have a Redbone, and both a poly and an acrylic Riceland along with a Zink. The acrylic Riceland is by far the best for me out of any of the calls that I own. Have killed them over no decoys and over no more than 8 decoys. We usually always put a few decoys out when we are in our fields. We usually set ours up on the upwind side of our ducks and well away from our ducks. If you run a Mojo we seem to have better results when they are turned off. Talk to James at Riceland, nice guy and builds a great call.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”