Pecan island,LA

This forum is for general discussion that doesn't fit in the other topic-specific forums.
grnhead1
Veteran

Pecan island,LA

Postby grnhead1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:16 pm

I've been invited to hunt with some guys on a lease down there and I've never hunted the marsh before. Just wondering about the area and if any guys on here hunt down that way. I will be there jan. 5-8. Thanks
Chuckle12
Duck South Addict

Re: Pecan island,LA

Postby Chuckle12 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Used to hunt down there a good bit. It's a different world. Cool place to hunt. Lots of birds if the weather is right.
Μολὼν λαβέ
HRCH Man with a Loaded Gun MH
HR Quest's Loaded Gun 4/8/00-7/5/12 RIP
mudsucker
Duck South Addict

Postby mudsucker » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:50 pm

I have a friend who married right and his pa-in-law has a camp down there. I went with him and it was pretty darn good. They use inboard mud boats mostly and a pirouge to get to pit or blind off main canals(dug as roads to get to ponds). Lots of grey ducks and teal with a few pintail thrown in. Geese, sometimes. Foggy a lot but you are right off the Gulf! Wind can kick up pretty good. close to Rockefeller Refuge so some action off birds getting up over there. Enjoy!
Long Live the Black Democrat!
GEAUX LSU!
WHO DAT!
DO,DU AND DW!
Jeff
Duck South Addict

Postby Jeff » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Been a long time since I've hunted over there but it's a great area. I wouldn't pass up a chance to go.
grnhead1
Veteran

Postby grnhead1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks for the info guys.. I'm always excited to hunt a terrain. Birds or not, it's better than being in the office any day.
kris Schaumburg
Veteran

Postby kris Schaumburg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 am

on your way down right after you pass through Lafayette, stop in Scott at the best stop and get some smoked boudin. it is one of my favorite meat markets. There is not much of anything in pecan island so bring whatever you need.
mottlet
Duck South Addict

Postby mottlet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:04 pm

It's a bloody mary morning...
pondman
Duck South Addict

Postby pondman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 pm

"That's the one trouble with this country: everything, weather, all, hangs on to long. Like our rivers, our land: opaque, slow, violent; shaping and creating the life of man in its implacable and brooding image." William Faulkner
Anatidae
Duck South Addict

Postby Anatidae » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I remember one of my first hunts (1966) was with my Dad and one of his band students on a Mobile Oil lease Southeast of Lake Charles. The mud boat was impressive. 250Cu.In Ford 250 straight 6 engine.......no muffler. Inboard with straight shaft and prop about 2' behind the transom........Johnny-stick steering. Just glad I wasn't driving it. Pretty wild ride down the trails lined with snared nutiras....not much wider than the hull. Got to the pond and hid the mud boat in a hide covered with grass. Swapped gear to the pirogue and went to the pit blind.

I killed my first duck with my new 870 Wingmaster 30" fixed full choke. Duck somes streaking past in front of the blind and Keith tells me to shoot it. It was about 20 yards out and going about 40. There wasn't a chance in hell I'd hit it much less come close. I pulled-up and shot and it folded and skipped about 3 times on the water. I had blown the top half (from eyeballs up) of his head off. I been 'bad to the bone' ever since. :mrgreen:

Good memories made in the marsh. The red-hot glow of the exhaust pipe kept me warm on the ride in that morning......but I don't hear so well any more.
"I'd like to be remembered among my closest waterfowling friends (if I am remembered at all) for how I hunted them - not how many I killed" - [Jay Strangis]
JacksonBounds

Postby JacksonBounds » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Ah yes. The warmth of the mudboat exhaust pipe. I have hunted there all my life here are the rules
1. Bring mosquito repellant
2. Be prepared for weather any where from 35 degrees and raining to 80 degrees and sunny.
3. Bring plenty of water.
4. Bring second can of mosquito repellant.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”